LOW OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

Brum08

May, 25, 2011 AT 2:59 AM

99 chevy tahoe LT 4x4 low oil pressure reading only after its warmed up sitting at an idle and the same when I am in drive on the brake. Check gauges light comes on when it drops down to approximately 5-8 on the tack. As soon as I get on the gas the light goes off and the tack reads up to 13-16. No engine noise as of yet and only had to add one quart in 2 months. No leaks found. Has me wondering if the filtering screen for the oil pump might be clogged? I dont want to tear into it for nothing if thats not the problem. Any suggestions what could be causing this?

caradiodoc

May, 25, 2011 AT 4:04 AM

This is typical of worn connecting rod and crankshaft bearings in high-mileage engines, but it can also be caused by a defective sending unit. The best place to start is by installing a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge to see exactly what is happening. If the pressure really is low, switching to one grade higher viscosity oil might help.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL