ELETRICAL ISSUES

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

G_Smooth1

April, 16, 2012 AT 6:58 PM

My truck would just shut off. No check engine light, however the dashboard light come on dim, both turn signal is lit solid and high beam light is lit. When I do turn on my lights, all lights on the dash turns off, but the chime still work. Cranks normal, wont start. I plugged in a lower end OB2 scanner to see if it would give me something. Ironically, as soon as I plug it in, the dashboard goes to normal, truck starts up like its brand new, drive fine with the scanner still plugged in; unplug problem resurface. If u put a high end scanner(the 7-9 grand), the prob is still there, but the device reads no connection. After I took it home, I unplug the ICM, I hear all the modules cycle, like a reset. Plug it back in and I have a brand new truck (for 24 hrs it seems like). I did replace the ICM. It works well for 2-3 weeks, now the problem is back. Any ideas before I start throwing away money.

G_Smooth1

April, 16, 2012 AT 6:59 PM

Oh a few shops I went to, the mechanics first words were WTF

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:10 PM

What happens if you try old ICM again?

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:12 PM

Or did you have to trade it in? Did you get new or used?

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:13 PM

Does plugging low end scanner with new ICM work too?

G_Smooth1

April, 16, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

I replace the ICM out of process of elimination. I had replaced that when I had initially bought the truck. It was still under warranty so I trade it at no cost. It did work for like 3 weeks without an issue. With the new ICM, yes the problem is the same today.

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

What was the time period between replacements? Was original cause for purchasing the same?

G_Smooth1

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:02 PM

The original one was purchased about a year ago. The original was part of a major tune-up I did. (Originally I replaced distributor, cap-n-rotor, TPS, MASS air flow, etc

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:25 PM

Ok so dont sound like that part is cause. What about wiring/plug issue? That yr is also known for cluster issues.

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Maybe a ground connection somewhere?

G_Smooth1

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:30 PM

Would a bad ground cause the dash to act the way it is currently?

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Dynamat Door Installation
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement