1999 Chevy Cavalier Charging System Problems

RAINBOWM
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier and I replaced the alternator a couple months back. The battery light started coming on a couple days ago and it would turn on and off. I noticed that my window (driver side) would sometimes not roll up or rolls up very slow. Also, the air conditioning would do the same thing, it would be stronger at times than others. The car died on me a couple of times, but when I went to turn it on (maybe a few hours later) it would work, but the light would be on again and it would seem like there was no power again. I took the car to Kragen and they said that the alternator and starter were ok but the battery is bad. My husband tested the battery with a test light and instead of having a dim light, it was blinking (almost like when you turn on your blinkers). I bought a new battery and installed it last night, but when I went to warm up my car this morning the battery light came back on. What would be causing this and how can I fix it?
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 4:29 PM

SATURNTECH9
I know you replaced the alternator but that doesnt mean you dont have another bad one. Have the alternator tested.
-1
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
RAINBOWM
The alternator was tested yesterday and they said that it was fine. Should I have tested it after I installed the new battery?
-1
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM
SATURNTECH9
It sounds like the alternator is intermintantly failing maybe a voltage regulator inside it or something. You need to invest in a multimeter there like 10 and when the battery light is on see what the voltage is at the battery cables. Lets go from there everything you describe leads to a alternator not charging sometimes. Have you made sure all the leads to the alternator are making a good tight connection?
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 4:54 PM
RAINBOWM
You're right.I just took it down to get it tested again and they said that the voltage regulator failed. Do I still need to get the multimeter? I will have the leads to the alternator are checked as well. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help! I will keep you posted! :)
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 6:46 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome thats what were here for. If you wanted to get a multimeter to just have in case you have other issues with the car the multimeter can be used for a lot of of different things also around the house etc. But keep me posted on what you find and check all the leads.
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 6:54 PM
RAINBOWM
It worked, it was the alternator that was bad. :) I was able to exchange it and get the new one in. Also made sure that all the leads were okay. I REALLY appreciate all your help! It has been difficult without a car so now I'm back on the road! :)
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 10:39 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome thats what were here for. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 10:49 PM