CAR WILL NOT START

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

wgoode40

July, 7, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

If you take the battery cable off for a period of time, and reattach it, it will start. Need help. I have replaced the starter, passlock ignition control module and battery. All seems to be getting spark but will not crank when key is turned to the crank position.

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 8:57 PM

Is your security light on?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Also any codes?

wgoode40

July, 7, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

Antitheft light comes on when key is turned to the on position. No obdII codes present. I do not have a meter. Dont understand why if the battery cable is off for 30min to an hr, it will start when reattached. Could it be the Engine Control Module?

wgoode40

July, 7, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

Also, when it does crank, the anti theft light goes out when running

saturntech9

July, 8, 2012 AT 5:20 AM

The reason it wont start is because the security light is on it disables the starter. Taking of the battery semi resets it. Most of the time what fails is the ignition cylinder the wire to it breaks. If you had a multimeter we could check some things.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang