SURGES SEEN WITH LIGHTS AT NIGHT

1999 Buick Park Avenue

DMG0808

I notice while driving with the headlights, they will surge brighter and then go dim for no apparent reason. The dash lights also seem to slightly dim too. Tried changing out the starter with no change. Do you have any ideas. Battery seems fine, starts with no hesitation on first crank of key.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

Have the charging system checked out-start here

DMG0808

We took it to Auto Zone and the scanner showed nothing wrong with the starter or the battery. No codes came up on their scan-tool.

Have the alternator checked

DMG0808

I am sorry, I just noticed I said we changed the starter and had the starter checked. That is incorrect! They checked the alternator and it checked normal but we changed it (the alternator)anyways.

Could be the computer controlled circuit of the alternator field generation is malfunctioning

DMG0808

Hi Again,
So in plain lay-man's terms- how do you trouble shoot this or know if it is the Computer-controlled circuit of the alternator field generation. And do you have a diagram, schematic of what you are referring to? I have no idea what all that means. Could you please explain this in further detail? Thank you.

See below-you might probably replace the computer if the wiring from the alternator to computer checked-out good

DMG0808

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

Hi Rasmataz,

See below where? I don't see a diagram or where you are talking about? Could it be a bad ground or corroded wire somewhere? Thanks.

One more time on diagram