CAR OVERHEATING (STEAM)

1998 Volvo S70

tarynb

October, 5, 2009 AT 8:07 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Volvo S70 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I was driving my car today going to Marin when it started to steam (there was a smell like burning rubber). I drove the car back to Vallejo Street in San Fran. It is now in my garage. I want to take it to be checked tomorrow. Do you think it would be okay to drive it about 10 minutes to the garage. Should I put water in the radiator - I think that I probably need a new hose as the indicator on the car did not register that the car was overheating. Thanks

JIS001

October, 6, 2009 AT 12:08 AM

It would be safer to have it towed in. If you were leaking coolant then the low coolant light would have come on. If you smell rubber and smoke came out then I would suspect a drive pulley could have seized up causing the serpentine belt to start heating up? But whatever the problem may be you really should have it towed to be on the safe side.

lovehim1

December, 28, 2011 AT 12:34 PM

Hi this is Rusty again. I have a 1998 S70 Volvo T5 turbo. It over heated on me because of a bad radiator. But now it won't start, the engine turns when I crank it, but it still won't start. I replaced the number one plug but it still won't start!

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage