WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF MY TRUCK NOT STARTING EVERYTIME?

1998 Toyota Tacoma

rh.phillips

June, 11, 2012 AT 6:51 PM

Here is some background on the issue. I bought this truck about 2 months ago. After having it for a couple of weeks, it began to NOT turn over every time I turn the key. I have had the battery and alternator checked, and both test good. What could be the reason or reasons this may happen?

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 6:55 PM

So sometimes the starter doesnt turn the engine over to start the engine?If so does the starter click or make any noise?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

rh.phillips

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:30 PM

It does seem like I remember a click. I do not have a multimeter.

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:40 PM

Do you have a 2.4 or a 2.7L engine?

rh.phillips

June, 12, 2012 AT 12:24 PM

2.4L

saturntech9

June, 12, 2012 AT 9:06 PM

Have you made sure the battery cables are clean and tight also the positive cable to the starter is tight?Also had the battery and alternator tested?Also when it doesnt start see if the black and white wire to the starter has battery voltage with the key in the start position.

rh.phillips

June, 13, 2012 AT 12:00 PM

The battery cables are clean and tight, I have not checked the cable to the starter. The battery and alternator have been tested and both are good. I will check the cable to the starter and voltage. Thanks for your suggestions.

saturntech9

June, 13, 2012 AT 2:20 PM

Keep me posted.

rh.phillips

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:59 PM

Thanks for your help. I attempted to take the starter off and replace it myself, but I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles. I ended up taking the truck to a local mechanic and he rebuilt the starter. He said that the contacts inside were burnt up.

Thanks again for you help.

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 11:58 PM

Your welcome thats what were here for glad to hear you got it all figured out.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe