1998 Toyota Corolla speedometer goes off

DELFOJUNIOR
  • 1998 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hi, I'm having problem with my car 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8L LE, sometimes the readings of the right side of the instrument cluster goes off and the transmission doesn't shift, so I have to turn off the car or keep driving just in the 1st gear and neutral. If the problem is the VSS why it works fine sometimes and some other not. I used to clean the connector with contact cleaner and works fine. How do I know the problem is gonna be fixed just by changing the VSS for a new one? I don't wanna waste my money. Please help me.
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM

HONDATECH1983
You can test the vss. Jack the front end of the car up. Hook up a multimeter to the red/white wire at the vss 3 pin connector. Put the car in drive and you should see a pulsing voltage if the vss is working properly.
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 9:02 AM
DELFOJUNIOR
Thanks HondaTech I forgot to tell that the scan shows the P0500 code. Does it mean that the VSS should be replace? Is better tested first with a multimeter? I've seen some VSS on eBay around 12 dollars in other sites the VSS costs more than 150. Any reccommendations? Thx
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 11:22 AM
HONDATECH1983
I'm usually a firm believer in the saying "you get what you pay for", but in this case I would probably try a cheap sensor. I saw the Toyota part lists for $256.00. If you buy the $12.00 sensor and get a couple months out of it I'd say you did okay. I'm always for testing parts before I replace them. If it's just as easy for you to spend $12 on a part to determine the fix for your car that would be fine as well. Good luck and let me know how it works out.
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 6:44 PM
DELFOJUNIOR
Thank you HondaTech but I'm a tester too. I just asked I won't buy it, because I think I got it. I think the problem is in the instrument cluster Odometer connector (the blue one) so I cleaned all the contacts and reforced the connection putting the connector tighted as possible. It's working fine and I'll keep watching and testing.
Monday, November 18th, 2013 AT 5:10 AM
HONDATECH1983
Awesome. If you have any more question please let me know. I'll be glad to help you test the system out if you need it.
Monday, November 18th, 2013 AT 7:04 AM