AIR VENT CONTROL

1998 Toyota Camry

rjswymer

March, 24, 2011 AT 5:50 AM

I have a 1998 Camry and the air vents only blow air from the driver and passenger side vents and the middle vents. Air will not blow at the feet nor the defrost at the windshield. I do still get hot and cold air but it's not switching no matter what I turn the control **** to. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or how to get to the part which I believe is under the dash to fix? I don't think the category accurately defines my topic but that's the closest I could come to.

March, 24, 2011 AT 2:39 PM

The problem should be due to a stuck or faulty air outlet servomotor or its linkages, located behind right center of dash, on blower motor housing.

rjswymer

March, 24, 2011 AT 4:42 PM

I can't thank you enough for your response and the diagram. You're the first to hit the nail on the head! Now to tackle this challenge do I need to replace this part or parts/pieces to this part? Is it best to remove the dash to get to it?

March, 24, 2011 AT 11:51 PM

You need not remove the dash to get to the part and whether it requires replacement depends on what is wrong. Here are the procedures for testing...

AIR OUTLET SERVOMOTOR..
Unplug 7-pin air outlet servomotor connector. Apply battery voltage to terminal No. 6. Connect terminal No. 7 to ground. See Fig. 1. Connect the specified terminal to ground. See TESTING AIR OUTLET SERVOMOTOR table. Arm should rotate smoothly to correct position. If operation is not as specified, replace servomotor.

rjswymer

March, 25, 2011 AT 6:18 AM

Looks like I need to replace the servomotor. So now where can I get one? Thanks again!

March, 25, 2011 AT 2:39 PM

Chck with your local parts outlets. The junk yard is another option. Last place would be the dealer.

gf39gg2j

July, 6, 2015 AT 11:32 AM

I just fixed this issue on my 1998 Camry XLE 4 cyl by cleaning the *inside* of the servomotor with denatured alcohol. The contacts were in good shape and the motor spun fine when 12V was applied. The contacts had built up carbon and grease over time and were not making contact.
I've seen conflicting info online whether this part was mechanical, vacuum or electrical. It was electrical. Also conflicting information on where the part was. I tore out a lot of the passenger side of the dash and could not find it.
The air outlet servomotor is *not* on the blower motor housing as mentioned above. The mechanical fresh / recirculate selector is above the blower motor however the air outlet servomotor is physically on the drivers side many inches above the accelerator. Look for a round white plastic piece about 3" in diameter. Pop that off (has a retaining clip in center), then remove the servomotor (three screws).
OEM part number 87106-06060 or 8710606060.
Printed part number on part: AW063700-6211
Toyota dealer MSRP is $180, refurbished on eBay was $75 shipped, Amazon did not appear to have it and my local O'Reilly looked up the part and they did not carry any version of it (there or in a warehouse). So I tried to fix it and for now it works again, at 213,000 miles, yay.

jra1122

August, 10, 2015 AT 5:13 PM

I just spent the afternoon fixing this on my 1999 Camry 4cylinder. The above procedure from Gf39gg2j worked great! I never would have thought of trying to repair the actual electric motor, but it worked. I opened the back of the motor by bending open the metal tabs on case with needle nose pliers, then cleaned just the contacts with alcohol and a Qtip, without removing the whole armature. I also had to work on (sandpaper) the plastic bushings in the servo gear box to loosen up the binding gears, and cleaned the contacts on the underside of the large gear. Be careful when opening the servo motor/gear box as several of the plastic retainer clips broke on mine. I also broke the retainer clip in the center of the white plastic plate with track groves (acts as a guide for the air door levers), but it seems to staying in place without the clip.
Now, where is the ibuprofen for my contorted back and neck.

smjpvan

September, 9, 2015 AT 5:21 PM

This is great information but I didn't get the same positive results. I cleaned mine up but still not getting any movement. I hope I didn't reassemble it incorrectly but it's pretty simple so I doubt it.

Any other ideas on what to try? Is there a fuse that may have blown? I would hate to spent $75 on a referb servomotor to find it was only a fuse.

gf39gg2j

November, 10, 2015 AT 5:33 PM

Well sadly my fix only lasted a few months, it's broken again. I'll take it out and clean it up once more but if it stops moving again, time to toss it in the bin and get a new one.
Jra1122 I'm glad it worked for you, and I hope it stays fixed!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911