Air vent control

RJSWYMER
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY

The air vents only blow air from the driver and passenger side vents and the middle vents. Air will not blow at the feet nor the defrost at the windshield. I do still get hot and cold air but it is not switching no matter what I turn the control to. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or how to get to the part which I believe is under the dash to fix? I do not think the category accurately defines my topic but that is the closest I could come to.

Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 5:50 AM

KHLOW2008

The problem should be due to a stuck or faulty air outlet servomotor or its linkages, located behind right center of dash, on blower motor housing.

Here is a guide that will help you get an idea on what you are in for:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Here are some diagrams that show the location of the servomotor:

-1
Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 2:39 PM
RJSWYMER

I cannot thank you enough for your response and the diagram. You are the first to hit the nail on the head! Now to tackle this challenge do I need to replace this part or parts/pieces to this part? Is it best to remove the dash to get to it?

+1
Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 4:42 PM
KHLOW2008

You need not remove the dash to get to the part and whether it requires replacement depends on what is wrong. Here are the procedures for testing:

Air outlet servomotor:
Unplug 7-pin air outlet servomotor connector. Apply battery voltage to terminal No. 6. Connect terminal No. 7 to ground. See Fig. 1. Connect the specified terminal to ground. See Testing air outlet servomotor table. Arm should rotate smoothly to correct position. If operation is not as specified, replace servomotor.

+8
Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 11:51 PM
RJSWYMER

Looks like I need to replace the servomotor. So now where can I get one? Thanks again!

+3
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 6:18 AM
KHLOW2008

Check with your local parts outlets. The junk yard is another option. Last place would be the dealer.

Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 2:39 PM
GF39GG2J

I just fixed this issue on my 1998 Camry XLE four cylinder by cleaning the *inside* of the servomotor with denatured alcohol. The contacts were in good shape and the motor spun fine when twelve volts was applied. The contacts had built up carbon and grease over time and were not making contact.
I have seen conflicting information online whether this part was mechanical, vacuum or electrical. It was electrical. Also conflicting information on where the part was. I tore out a lot of the passenger side of the dash and could not find it.
The air outlet servomotor is *not* on the blower motor housing as mentioned above. The mechanical fresh/recirculate selector is above the blower motor however the air outlet servomotor is physically on the drivers side many inches above the accelerator. Look for a round white plastic piece about three inches in diameter. Pop that off (has a retaining clip in center), then remove the servomotor (three screws).
OEM part number 87106-06060 or 8710606060.
Printed part number on part: AW063700-6211
Toyota dealer MSRP is $180.00, refurbished on eBay was $75.00 shipped, Amazon did not appear to have it and my local O'Reilly looked up the part and they did not carry any version of it (there or in a warehouse). So I tried to fix it and for now it works again, at 213,000 miles, yay.

+17
Monday, July 6th, 2015 AT 11:32 AM
JRA1122

I just spent the afternoon fixing this on my 1999 Camry four cylinder. The above procedure from Gf39gg2j worked great! I never would have thought of trying to repair the actual electric motor, but it worked. I opened the back of the motor by bending open the metal tabs on case with needle nose pliers, then cleaned just the contacts with alcohol and a Q-tip, without removing the whole armature. I also had to work on (sandpaper) the plastic bushings in the servo gear box to loosen up the binding gears, and cleaned the contacts on the underside of the large gear. Be careful when opening the servo motor/gear box as several of the plastic retainer clips broke on mine. I also broke the retainer clip in the center of the white plastic plate with track groves (acts as a guide for the air door levers), but it seems to staying in place without the clip.
Now, where is the ibuprofen for my contorted back and neck?

+11
Monday, August 10th, 2015 AT 5:13 PM
SMJPVAN

This is great information but I did not get the same positive results. I cleaned mine up but still not getting any movement. I hope I did not reassemble it incorrectly but it is pretty simple so I doubt it.

Any other ideas on what to try? Is there a fuse that may have blown? I would hate to spent $75.00 on a refurbished servomotor to find it was only a fuse.

+1
Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 AT 5:21 PM
GF39GG2J

Well sadly my fix only lasted a few months, it is broken again. I will take it out and clean it up once more but if it stops moving again, time to toss it in the bin and get a new one.
Jra1122, I am glad it worked for you, and I hope it stays fixed!

+2
Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 AT 5:33 PM
CRAZYEDDIE

Just completed this job. Yea and it was a beast at times. Removed under steering column panel and metal support. Removed center console around shifter/radio(may not be necessary to some people but im a big guy)
Removed drivers seat cause I wanted to, qty4 14mm bolts and one electrical wire. The air mode servo is on the side of heater box up over half way. Its has a 7-pin connector, remove the cam gear(shaft has a tiny notch and white gear has a little clip to bent back to release from shaft, use a tiny flat head and pull while prying this tab) You are likely to damage this piece, be easy. Remove 3 holding screws only and wiggle it out of area(sometimes it seems stuck on pivoting arms so may have to remove bottom one only, top arm is ok to stay there. If you happen to remove both pivoting arms by mistake, the smaller one in size goes to top area, when arms are in place the guiding pins should be 180degress away from each other, thats how you know the gear on the motor shaft will go properly into the guiding grooves. BTW if you have to buy this part new from dealer its expensive and comes with servo motor only so be aware of this. I paid $160 thru Boch Toyota South. A local dealer to me wanted $230 so be wise and shop around. I prefer to get new rather than rebuild given the pain involved in changing this part. Also you should test the unit by plugging it in and turning on ignition and dialing in different positions to see motor shaft is actually moving. If not its electrically bad(unit or circuit). I opened up my bad one and discovered that gearing was issue(binding up on first gear set that engages to motor worm gear). Good luck with this job and get ready for scratched arms under there.

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 AT 8:15 AM
KHLOW2008

Thanks for the great feedback.

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 AT 9:55 PM