1998 Pontiac Sunfire Batter light on

SUZYTHESUNFIRE
  • 1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
I put In a new alternator, battery, and the frame/engine block/negative battery ground cable and the light is still on I feel like the battery isn't getting the recharge from the alternator I have replaced the wire going from the alternator to the starter also wen I put in the new alternator and battery I had them tested because the battery light was still on and the components passed the tests
Saturday, June 15th, 2013 AT 10:37 PM

CADIEMAN
It's obvious you a short in your dash! Ignore the light or remove the bulb.
Sunday, June 16th, 2013 AT 2:25 AM
SUZYTHESUNFIRE
No it's not a short in the dash the car runs off of the battery I'm pretty sure because my car died out and then I was stranded I gave it a jump and it started right up once I took off the jumpercables it died out then I let the other car run so my battery would charge up so I could move the car so if I have the jumpercables on it will run forever otherwise it will die out
Sunday, June 16th, 2013 AT 5:03 AM
CADIEMAN
Okay then you did not mention that in your original question. You will need to take a test light or a voltmeter. Check the red wire on the back of the alternator for battery voltage. Check the other connector and make sure the wire connectors are plugged in properly. They go to the voltage regulator. If this is all good you need to replace the alternator! I am the light well go out.
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 6:53 PM
SUZYTHESUNFIRE
I had the alternator tested in the car it failed said it was a bad regulator, it bench tested fine tested fine also I got a check engine light for a high voltage for the temperature sensor
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 3:02 PM
CADIEMAN
Suzy please just replace the alternator and the cooler temperature sensor. The auto parts store can show you the location of the coolant temperature sensor. Thank you for using two car pros
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 10:41 PM
SUZYTHESUNFIRE
That's not the problem
Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 4:35 AM
SUZYTHESUNFIRE
Idle does from above 1000 rpm then drops below 1000rpm after a few minutes of running
Friday, June 21st, 2013 AT 1:50 PM
CADIEMAN
OK
Wednesday, December 17th, 2014 AT 7:24 AM