1999 Pontiac Sunfire alternator

ROB59
  • 1999 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
I have replaced my alternator three times because the 'idiot' light keeps coming on showing system not charging. When first starting engine, after installing alternator, light will come on, again, after just a minute or two. Tests on alternator show it is not generating any voltage out-put. I have also replaced batt. Is there something causing the alternators to burn out, or, prevent it from charging system?
Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 AT 8:44 PM

SATURNTECH9
So have you tested the alternator before putting it in?Also tested the alternator out of the car after it was installed to see if there really burning up after they were installed?Also have you checked all the power inputs to the alternator to make sure you don't have a blown fuse bad fuse able link or bad wire?
Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 AT 9:58 PM
ROB59
The alternators I've put in all came from salvage yards. And we assumed to be in working order. I have used a test light to determine power supply. I found that the fuse was good. The main cable going to the alt. Powered up when the key was in the on position. However, the 'plug-in', red-n-black, wires had no power. Even when the car is running. Could this be the 'fuse-able' link? And, where is the link located?
+2
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 9:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Looking at the wire diagram I see the red wire to the B+ terminal should have battery voltage all the time. Also the red wire going to the L terminal should have power with the key in the run position. Those are the only two I see with power. You need to use a multi meter to make sure there is battery voltage to them
. Also that the alternator case has a good ground to it.
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 11:22 PM
ROB59
Does the fuse-able link have anything to do with loss of power to the plug-in connection on the alternator?
+1
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 2:23 AM
SATURNTECH9
The fuseable link is the B+ terminal the one held on by A nut. Only the two red wires are supposed to have battery voltage to them.
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 9:15 AM
ROB59
I do not think you understand my question. I'm not a mechanic. I asked where the fuse-able link is located. I do not know what the B+ terminal is! As well as the "L" terminal. I also need to know if the fuse-able link could be the problem with the plug in, on the alternator, not having any power? As I said before, I'm not real knowledgeable about the wiring of the car. So I need 'simple' responses to my questions. Thank you.
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 3:47 PM
SATURNTECH9
The fuse able link is in between the positive side of the battery and the B+ terminal at the alternator. The B+ terminal on the alternator is the one with the nut like I said in my earlier post. Its the only wire held on the alternator with a nut. Also the L terminal is the other red wire going to the alternator.
+1
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 6:25 PM
ROB59
Thank you, Saturn, I'll check the link to see if it is blown. But I don't think it is. Because the red, (B+), wire that bolts onto the alternator powers up when the key is turned on.
Thanks.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 2:43 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also make sure the other red wire has battery voltage at the alternaator with the key on. Also that the alternator has a good ground to the case of it. Also this needs to be tested with a multi meter. Also what is the battery voltage at the battery with the engine idling?
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 9:27 AM