BRAKES

1998 Plymouth Breeze

razer177

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:24 PM

Have a 98 ply breeze put new brakes on incl springs, adjuster, shoes and drum still wants to lock up after foot off of pedal if I brake loose the brake line to the wheel cylinder brakes will then release. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Docfixit

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:29 PM

Suspect Flex hose is internaly rupturd checking pressure in line

razer177

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:36 PM

Thanks I was wondering if that was possible. Maybe letting the pressure only go one way?

Docfixit

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:43 PM

That is correct

Wrenchtech

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:45 PM

If this is happening to both wheels and not just one, try that same test at the master cylinder too. If it's only one wheel, then Doc is likely correct.

razer177

April, 14, 2011 AT 4:47 PM

Its one wheel thanks a million im off to the parts store!

caradiodoc

April, 14, 2011 AT 6:02 PM

The fix is easier than replacing the hose, but it is the rubber hose that's doing it. Look for the metal bracket that is crimped around the middle of the hose. Rust builds up inside that crimp and constricts the hose. Foot pressure can push fluid through but return spring pressure can't push it back. Your dandy observation of opening the steel line, (or bleeder screw), was the clue most people overlook.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado