WHY WILL 98 OLDS INTERMITTENTLY LOSE ALL ELECTRICAL POWER AND WILL NOT START?

1998 Oldsmobile LSS

martide

May, 11, 2012 AT 8:11 PM

My son has a 1998 Olds LSS with a 3.8L V6. Sometimes it dies while driving or will not start when he tries to start it. The car loses all electrical power when this happens. Nothing will work, no lights, radio, starter, or anything electrical at all will work. Sometimes it will start right back up, other times it will start after a period of time. I have cleaned & retightened battery cables, replaced the ECM, battery, & starter (unrelated).

fixitmr

May, 11, 2012 AT 8:17 PM

You'll have to do some electrical tracing when this happens. Check battery ground cable where it goes to block and body.

martide

May, 15, 2012 AT 2:38 PM

Checked the battery cable from the battery to the block. There are no breaks and the cable is firmly connected to the block. Where else should I check?

rivermikerat

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:18 AM

Have you checked continuity of the battery cables when the problem occurs? Also, check the master relays and fuses when the problem occurs, especially the relay, as older ones can fail when they get too hot and start working again when they cool down. You'll need a meter and/or a test light/continuity tester.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test