Electric Cooling fans not working

DNICE488
  • 1998 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE

I need some advice please. I don’t know where else to look for a solution. I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3800 V6 3.4L and the cooling fans do not run. The first thing I did was to check the fan to see if they were broken. I ran a fuse jumper wires directly from the battery to the motor terminals. The fans turned on so I know I have good fan. I then check the fuses and replace the fan relays with new relays. This did not fix the problem either. I then replace the engine coolant temperature sensor and ran the car for several minutes to get it up to operating temperature. The fans still will not come on. I disconnected the connector from the temperature sensor while the engine was running and the fans came on A.S.A.P. Why is this and how can I solve my problem?

Monday, May 21st, 2012 AT 6:39 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey Dnice488,

How hot does it get actual temp wise without the fan coming because most of the gm cars fans dont come on till at least 222 degrees.

Here is a wiring diagram to help trace the problem down I noticed there are three relays did you replace all three? If so the ECM driver that controls the fan relays could be bad.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, December 6th, 2016 AT 5:03 PM