UNABLE TO START CAR

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

justannanow

August, 31, 2009 AT 11:03 PM

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I have a 98 Olds Intrigue. While driving home, I went to pass another car and as I accelerated, the car jerked and started losing power. Trac off light came on as well as service engine light. However, the car seemed to gain power but then it started to overheat. I pulled into a gas station and a mechanic there saw that there was no coolant in the radiator. We added water but the car didn't want to start. He read the DTC and said that it read multiple misfires. The car finally started and I nursed it home but it ran rough the whole way and died once. Found the coolant leak which was caused by a rotted intake plenum seal which was causing massive coolant loss and pooling of coolant on the top of the intake manifold. There was no water found in the oil or coolant found when spark plugs were cleaned. Replaced the plenum seal, replaced the thermostat housing seal. Checked and all cylinders have fire. The fuel pressure is approx 46 psi. But the car still won't start. Unfortunately didn't get the DTC's before removing battery cables so it cleared the computer of the codes (yeah, shoulda thought of that but didn't). I have fire and fuel. When I try to start the car, it sounds like it wants to catch and backfire but can't quite get there. There are no off mechanical sounds, like clanging or whining. So what could be some of the other problems? I've thought of the crank positon sensor, the ignition module but is there anything else? And if it is the crank position sensor, does anyone know how much it would cost to replace or if it can be tested to see if it needs replacing?

September, 1, 2009 AT 12:17 PM

Did you visually check for spark? Did you try starter fluid in the intake? Usually I take the air-duct loose from the throttle-body, open the throttle-valve a little and squirt some in there, see if the engine tries to start. There could be a safety issue using a flammable spray. The safety issue is your responsibility. I've never had any problems, but, I have heard of others having problems.

justannanow

September, 2, 2009 AT 9:22 PM

I don't use starter fluid since burning all the hair off my arm over 20 years ago. And just curious, but wasn't I supposed to get an answer from " certified professionals"?

September, 3, 2009 AT 8:31 AM

Hello again, you might talk to mike@2carpros. Com

2CarPros Mike

September, 4, 2009 AT 1:50 PM

Hi Anna,
Our Moderators are Certified Technicians. We have refunded your donation, but would still like to help you.
Thanks,
Mike

justannanow

September, 5, 2009 AT 1:24 PM

Thanks Mike, and jdl123 I do apologize. I didn't realize you were also a technician. So aside from using starter fluid, which I'm scared to do anymore, is there anything else that you can suggest?

September, 5, 2009 AT 2:01 PM

No problem, can you check for an injector pulse, with engine cranking? You can also try cranking with the cam sensor unplugged. Place the connector where is doesn't get caught-up or short to anything.

justannanow

September, 5, 2009 AT 4:09 PM

How do you check for an injector pulse and what would I be looking for? And what should happen with the cam sensor unplugged? I'm used to distributor caps and carburetors. Lol

September, 5, 2009 AT 9:51 PM

The autostore sells a noid lite, to check for injector pulse. A faulty cam signal may be worse than no signal at all. With the sensor unplugged, the injectors may revert to mfi instead of sfi, just a thought.

justannanow

September, 9, 2009 AT 12:26 AM

Sorry, lost internet for a couple days. Can you tell me where the cam sensor is located on this car and how to unplug it?

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:15 AM

It should be on the passenger-side end of engine, above the crankshaft, three wire connector.

You need to figure out if any fuel is getting into the cylinder?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right