AUTOMOTIVE QUESTION

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

lucky2012

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS with 167,000 miles. My check engine light came on so I took it into Firestone to run a diagnostic test. The mechanic told me that there was 3 error codes which was P0125, P0141 & P1811.

I had them replace the oxygen sensor, so that fixed 2 of the codes except for the P1811 which has something to do with the transmission. I was told that I would need to take it to a transmission shop for further diagnosis & repairs.

Would you be able to explain to me what this code means and what repairs would I need done?

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:10 AM

The P1811 pressure control solenoid-you need to check the dealership due to a TBS involving the transmission

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:13 AM

What are the symptoms of the transmission of the way it drives?That code is usually a bad pressure control solenoid.

lucky2012

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

@rasmataz what's a TBS? Can I take it to any other place other than the dealership?
@saturntech9 it seems to be driving ok so far. I took it to Auto Zone a few days ago to have them check the codes since my light was on and I was only given P0125 & P0141. I took it to Firestone today to do the diagnostic test and that's when they found the P1811 code. When it's a bad pressure control solenoid what does the car usually do in that condition? Is it safe to drive?

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

TBS ( Technical Service Bulletin )-Best just go to the dealership

lucky2012

August, 12, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 1:33 AM

Sometime no syptoms just the service engine soon light comes but it will get worse where the transmission may slip or shift hard then when you cycle the key it will stop and later start all over again. If you let it go too long you will damage the transmission.I have seen them go too long and destroy the insides if the transmission. Pretty common problem most of the time its a bad pressure control module which is in the transmission valve body. You will need a pressure test to verify but from what I have seen it was mostly the solenoid and few times a bad valve body.

lucky2012

August, 12, 2012 AT 6:02 PM

I know you won't be able to provide me with the exact cost of this repair. Is the pressure control solenoid an expensive repair?

August, 12, 2012 AT 6:37 PM

You dont even know the failure yet so an estimate is out till they find the failure. A code never identifies a bad part, just a failed system.

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:17 PM

Theres a bulletin for that code that says for that code to replace the pressure control solenoid. The saturn L model has a bulletin also same code I have done a ton of them on the saturns mostly solenoids and a few valve bodies.I always do a pressure test first and when I drain the fluid look for debris in the fluid. If it was the solenoid dont know labor because we lost access to labor time guide on are online info. The saturns were about 7hrs labor times shop labor rate the solenoid say 60 and about 70 for fluid gasket and filter. Plus alignment because dropping the sub frame down to clear the side cover to get to the solenoid.