OVERHEATING ONLY WHILE DRIVING WHY

1998 Nissan Maxima

sexyinpinkandblack

March, 15, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

Changed radiator cap and. Flushed radiator and coolant/anti freeze and only overheated after been driving about 10 miles

fixitmr

March, 15, 2012 AT 6:21 PM

Is thermostat good?

fixitmr

March, 15, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

So if it just sits and idles it never gets hot? Are radiator fins blocked/dirty?

sexyinpinkandblack

March, 15, 2012 AT 6:33 PM

I have replaced the thermostat and took the radiotor to a radiator shop where it was pressurized because it was partially clogged. I have replaced the radiator cap as well; but it still gets hot. I can drive for about 15-20 mins before it starts getting hot; than the temp goes down for a few mins than the temp starts rising again. But as soon as I stop and leave running the temp goes down. For some reason it only rises while driving and decreases while sitting in drive/idle. Not sure what that can be; any suggestions?

fixitmr

March, 15, 2012 AT 7:27 PM

Have you pressure tested system? If you operate heater will that stop overhaeting?

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer