OVERHEATING ONLY WHILE DRIVING WHY

• sexyinpinkandblack
  • 1998 Nissan Maxima

Changed radiator cap and. Flushed radiator and coolant/anti freeze and only overheated after been driving about 10 miles

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

• fixitmr

Is thermostat good?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 6:21 PM
  • fixitmr

So if it just sits and idles it never gets hot? Are radiator fins blocked/dirty?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 6:23 PM
  • sexyinpinkandblack

I have replaced the thermostat and took the radiotor to a radiator shop where it was pressurized because it was partially clogged. I have replaced the radiator cap as well; but it still gets hot. I can drive for about 15-20 mins before it starts getting hot; than the temp goes down for a few mins than the temp starts rising again. But as soon as I stop and leave running the temp goes down. For some reason it only rises while driving and decreases while sitting in drive/idle. Not sure what that can be; any suggestions?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 6:33 PM
  • fixitmr

Have you pressure tested system? If you operate heater will that stop overhaeting?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 7:27 PM