WHY WON'T MY TRUCK START ON FIRST TRY?

1998 Nissan Frontier

96fisherman

July, 16, 2012 AT 6:50 PM

I have a 1998 Nissan Frontier (Manual Trans). It has 78,000mi on it. The truck has been experiences problems so my dad and I tried finding the problem. We replaced the alternator (rebuilt one from AutoZone), we tuned it up (sparkplugs, wires, new fuel filter), they tested the battery and it was good, we even put a can of SeaFoam into the gas tank. But the truck still has problems starting up. I have to try multiple times to get it to go. It tries to start but just won't turn over, and when it does, it takes about 4seconds, which I don't want to do because I don't want to flood the engine. But sometimes it just fires right up (rarely). Would this be the starter? When I start it, I have it in neutral and clutch all the way in like it should. We're just so lost. Thanks for any help you can give!

July, 16, 2012 AT 6:57 PM

I would have the fuel pressure checked. It may be draining back to the tank and taking time to build pressure.

96fisherman

July, 16, 2012 AT 7:09 PM

What'd be the next step if there was a problem with the fuel pressure? What would probably need to be replaced? You're answer makes sense because when I open up the gas cap to the tank, and a bunch of air/gas pressure is released, like alot. Thanks again!

July, 16, 2012 AT 7:20 PM

Ok, but you start with basics first. We need the readings and if it stays constant overnight. If it does not, then there may be an issue with the check valve in the fuel pump or the regulator.

After this is verifed then we can proceed. Lets not jump ahead of ourselves and verify the basics.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right