How to reset timing on 987 towncar after reinstalation of left side cylinder head
have the same problem?
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 2:25 AM
Here is the info.
1. Install spacers, camshaft sprockets and retaining bolts. Ensure components are installed in original locations. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
2. Install Camshaft Positioner Adapter (T92P-6256-A) on flat areas of camshaft if not previously installed. See Fig. 11.
CAUTION:Install crankshaft sprocket halves with hubs facing each other. See Fig. 15.
3. Install crankshaft sprocket for left timing chain. If copper links are not visible on timing chain, fold timing chain in half and mark each end link for timing purposes. See Fig. 15. These links will be referred to as copper links when installing.
4. Ensure No. 1 piston is at TDC. This positions crankshaft keyway 45 degrees from vertical position. See Fig. 10. Crankshaft keyway will point toward camshaft.
5. Install left timing chain on camshaft and crankshaft sprockets so copper link aligns with timing mark on sprockets. See Fig. 13. Install crankshaft sprocket for right timing chain. Ensure sprocket is properly installed.
6. Install right timing chain on camshaft and crankshaft sprockets so copper link aligns with timing mark on sprockets. Install Crankshaft Positioner (T93P-6303-A) to prevent crankshaft movement. Lubricate tensioner arms with engine oil. Install tensioner arms. Install chain guides.
7. Chain tensioners must be bled down so tensioner plunger is compressed in housing before installing. Place chain tensioner in soft-jaw vise. Using small pick, hold ratchet lock mechanism away from ratchet stem. See Fig. 16. Slowly close vise to depress tensioner plunger.
8. When tensioner plunger is compressed in housing, continue to hold ratchet lock mechanism and install lock pin in hole on tensioner housing. Ensure ratchet stem is even with tensioner housing before installing lock pin. See Fig. 16.
9. Using "C" clamp or suitable tool, remove all slack from timing chain by applying pressure to tensioner arm. While holding pressure on arm, install both chain tensioners and retaining bolts on cylinder block. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
10. Remove lock pins from both chain tensioners. Ensure all timing marks align. See Fig. 13. To check accuracy of valve timing, remove No. 1 spark plug. Using a dial indicator, check for maximum intake valve lift. Maximum intake valve lift should occur at 114 degrees after TDC.
11. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Before installing valve cover, apply silicone sealant at front cover-to-cylinder block areas.
12. When installing fuel lines, fit NEW fuel resistant "O" rings (Brown) on fuel lines. Lightly coat "O" rings with clean engine oil before installing. Clean fittings, and replace garter spring (if necessary).