GUYSMY HYUNDAI STARTED TO OVERHEAT YESTERDAY I ...

1998 Hyundai Excel

Aisha29

January, 29, 2013 AT 4:25 AM

Hi guys
My hyundai started to overheat yesterday, I have checked oil and coolant and they are both full, the airconditioner works perfect however I have had to drive with the heater on as its the only way to keep the temp down. The car hasnt got to the boiling stage yet but would like to rectify the problem before it gets worse. Any ideas would be greatful before we hit the mechanics.

blaze45

January, 29, 2013 AT 5:16 AM

It could be a number of things. First I would check your thermostat and see if it is opening. You can do this by letting the car warm up and feeling the 2 main radiator hoses. If one is cold and one is REALLY hot then you know more then likely your thermostat is gone. The next thing I would guess could be a problem is the headgasket. There are few symptoms that show that your headgasket is going.

The first is a green hue on your spark plugs. Sweet smelling white exhaust even after the car is warmed up.

Boiling overflow. The exhaust from the engine will compress the coolant system and push out almost all the coolant from the engine block causing the car to overheat.

Could possibly also be a clogged radiator and you may just need a coolant flush. The water pump could of also gone out.

Thermostat is easiest to check first, and cheapest to replace.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer