1997 THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON

1998 Hyundai Elantra

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 12:15 AM

1997 Hyundai Elantra mileage: 115,000. Ok my Hyundai Elantra was not treated as well as it should have been. I believe the one of the cylinder piston skirts cracked. It was time for a new engine. My mates and I pulled out the old one. Placed in a reconditioned engine. Much better. But. Initially the timing was retarded too far and therefore the engine backfired. I drove about 100 mikes with the engine like this. I got my hands on a timing light and was just about to tune it when the CHECK ENGINE light came on. My manual says that this indicates a problem with the exhaust system. I cannot detect any such problem and the engine appears to be working perfectly (Once I fixed the timing). What do I need to fix? Did the backfiring just fry some environmental circuit? I have heard third hand of an Excel having the same light turn on, nothing wrong with it. Kept on going for years. Any help would be appreciated.

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 12:19 AM

The light can be extinguished and fault codes cleared by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. If there is a malfunctioning sensor or switch, it will relight the light. The check engine light will light when there is a malfunction in the engine management system. The fault code is then stored in the computer. With a scanner you can scan your computer and check for fault codes to find out why the light came on in the first place. You can clear your cars trouble codes after you make the needed repairs.