HEAD LIGHTS ARE DIM

1998 Honda Civic

hondacivic98

October, 13, 2013 AT 10:26 AM

My head lights are dim I tried replacing the bulbs my volt gauge keeps jumping from 12.2 to 14.3 volts. I thought it was the altinator but I have no clue what it is I want to get it fix because it is hard to see at night.

October, 13, 2013 AT 11:04 AM

Have your charging system checked. If you have a digital multimeter, you can do some testing yourself. Place the meter leads across the battery posts, everything off, including the engine. The generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. Start the vehicle, take second reading battery posts, second reading should be higher than the first if charging system is working.

Check the voltage reading at headlamps, engine running.

October, 13, 2013 AT 11:30 AM

Because you have an electrical load detector on this vehicle, check for applicable trouble codes. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. Also, they should be able to check your charging.

hondacivic98

October, 13, 2013 AT 6:37 PM

What should the volts be for the head lights?

October, 14, 2013 AT 7:16 AM

Close to the same reading as far as the reading across your battery posts, engine running.

October, 14, 2013 AT 7:26 AM

The diagram is for a Honda civic cx w/drl. The top wires are voltage for high or low beam. The bottom wire is ground. You have High and low beam fuses in your interior fuse box. You could check voltage at the fuses, engine running, headlamps on.

hondacivic98

October, 17, 2013 AT 2:14 PM

I tested my battery it was at 12.6 with the engine running it was at 14.3 and the head light are at 13.3 I had a code about a month ago for the electric load dector I just earsed it and it never came back.

October, 17, 2013 AT 3:47 PM

Was it the same 13.3 volts at the headlamp wiring and across battery posts? Did you check the voltage at the fuse or headlamp wiring?

hondacivic98

October, 17, 2013 AT 6:40 PM

The head lamp wire was at 13.3 and the battery post were at 14.3 I did not check the fuse I will do that tomarrow.

October, 18, 2013 AT 10:23 AM

I couldn't post the whole diagram and make it readable. The whole diagram was too small to read.

Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini