STRANGE VIBRATION FROM FRONT.

1998 Ford Ranger

cobbsteve14

October, 7, 2012 AT 4:34 PM

I have a 98 ranger 4wd 3.0 5sp. When I am driving down the road at random times the truck starts vibrating like I'm running over the hum strip and it rattles kinda like the drive chain fell off in the t-case. If I engage the 4wd and turn it right back off it will go away for a few min. The front end has been re done I put manual hubs on it thinking it was those causing the trouble and the u joints are good. I've got no clue anymore what to check so any help would be awesome.

October, 7, 2012 AT 5:09 PM

Did you remove the front shaft and inspect the joints? Sounds like the issue

cobbsteve14

October, 7, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

I checked them they are as tight as can be.

October, 7, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

Did you remove the shaft and inspect? Tight is not good as they need to move freely.

October, 7, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

cobbsteve14

October, 7, 2012 AT 6:41 PM

I mean the theres no play in the bearings. It feels like its trying to go into 4wd and only gets half way there. I just dont understand why when I put it in then out of 4wd it goes away and comes back.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda