PROBEM WITH SHIFTING FROM PARK TO DRIVE

1998 Ford Mustang

kerrie6900

July, 18, 2011 AT 12:26 PM

Hi. I have a 98 Mustang 6cyl. Automatic, and it is getting very hard to take out of park to drive, when you push the side button in on the t-handle shifter. It does this even when the wheels are straight and on level ground, and I have my foot on the brake. Any suggestions, and how to fix, or check.

July, 18, 2011 AT 1:18 PM

Seems the interlock solenoid is preventing the lever from being shifted out of park.

Check if the brake lights are working.

kerrie6900

July, 18, 2011 AT 1:33 PM

Yes. The brakes lights do work, so I don't believe it is the brake switch. Where is this interlock solenoid located and is it hard to replace or check.

July, 18, 2011 AT 4:59 PM

The electronic shift lock actuator is mounted at base of shift lever. You need to remove the console to get at it.

kerrie6900

July, 18, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

Ok. Since brake lights do work and wiring seems ok, it propably is the solenoid so I will just replace it. Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz