1998 Ford F-150 Cooling System issue

JREID1998
  • 1998 FORD F-150

I have a '98 F-150 with a 4.6L Triton engine. Recently, I took it to the shop because I was experiencing overheating & blow-back of antifreeze. When driving, after starting cold engine, within 5-10 minutes into the drive the temp gauge pegs out for app. 10-20 secs. Then it goes back to normal. When I pulled over, there was massive amounts of antifreeze covering the driver's side tire-well, as well as under the hood. The 1st visit to the shop, they replaced the thermostat. Told me it was ready. I got about 7-10 miles from the shop and it did the same thing. They replaced the new thermostat with a FORD OEM one and still got the same results. Eventually, they discovered a blown head-gasket. Cylinder 6 spark-plug has some antifreeze on it. After, replacing the head-gasket, it's still doing the same thing. Almost like there's an air pocket in the system somewhere. Any ideas?

Friday, February 14th, 2014 AT 12:33 PM

It almost sounds like a blockage try removing lower rad hose draining coolant and replacing cap has it been checked for the h other head gasket leaking?

Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 6:27 AM
JREID1998

Yes, when it originally went in, they replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. Also, ran a pressure test which came back okay. I'm not sure if they checked the other head gasket. That's a good question. Is it possible the water-pump is bad, or starting to go bad?

Monday, February 17th, 2014 AT 7:09 AM

A water pump just pumps water and does't do that it is either the system is getting to much pressure from a compression leak or there is a blockage in system. Least that is what it sounds like to me.

Monday, February 17th, 2014 AT 7:14 AM
PAPPY2015

Hi Sir! I have 1998 Ford F-150 4.6 Did you ever figure your temp gauge pegging out at the hot? I'm having the same issue and would like the know how you fixed it. Thankyou in advance.

-1
Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 AT 3:53 AM