I STOP THE BATTERY LIGHT WILL GO BACK ON

1998 Ford Explorer

mathewjones

September, 23, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

While driving my dash light+headlights go dim, ABS light comes on and car dies. Just replaced battery and cleaned cables, still have same problem.

My model is a Ford Exploer sport 4x4 1998. My radio light also blinks constantly and the car lighter and rear window wiper stopped working also. When I start the car the battery gauge is half way even with a brand new battery and when I accelerate it drops to a 1/4 or less.

Sometime when I stop at a light the battery will go back up to have a charge until I accelerate again. Last night was the only time it actually died on me, the battery was leaking acid out of the posts. I replaced the battery and cleaned the cables but I am still having the same problem.

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

caradiodoc

September, 23, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

The battery light means the battery is not being recharged, not that it is bad. You have a generator problem and you have the classic symptoms of lights dimming and computers acting up.

Start by measuring the battery voltage while the engine is running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is within that range, have the generator tested for output current and maximum "ripple". If output is only one third of its rated capacity and ripple is high, the generator has a defective internal diode.

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet