1998 FORD EXPEDITION BLOWN HEAD GASKET

• Diggy4u
  • 1998 Ford Expedition

5.4l blew head gasket took motor out of truck and repaired. Installed both new timing chains. Timing marks lined up when I installed the chains. I turned the motor over by hand to make sure timing marks lined up and they do not. I've done this several times and still the same thing marks dont line up after I spin the motor by hand. I just dont want to put the motor back in and have to do it again because I was wrong.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 12:32 AM

• saturntech9

Are you talking about color links on the timing chain?

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 12:33 AM
  • Diggy4u

Yes exactly. Arnt they suppose to line up when motor comes back around to #1 tdc compression stroke?

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
  • saturntech9

Colored links on timing chains are for intial timing settings. Once you rotate the engine around the marks on the chain wont be lined up till so many revolutions if you turn it around enough times they will line back up.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 1:29 AM
  • Diggy4u

Thank you very much. Now I can continue on. Again thank you for your time and patience

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 2:03 AM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome as long as you have everything lined up and the chain is tight your good to go.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 2:11 AM