STARTER

1998 Dodge Neon

aarongue42

April, 27, 2011 AT 11:11 PM

Car does not crank over unless I hook jumper cables from the battery to the starter and cross th wire from the plugin on the solenoid to the hot wire on the starter

saturntech9

April, 27, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

Alright do you have a multimeter to trace power?

caradiodoc

April, 27, 2011 AT 11:24 PM

If you hear a single kind of loud clunk from the starter each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank", worn solenoid contacts are real common on the little silver Nippendenso starters. They can be replaced for 20 bucks but most people just replace the entire starter. They always start off being intermittent. It will crank if you cycle the ignition switch from "run" to "crank" enough times.

If you don't hear that clunk and there is no click from the starter relay, suspect the neutral safety switch although that isn't real common. The entire system can be split into four circuits and each one can be tested from the starter relay socket. You'll need a test light or digital voltmeter.

caradiodoc

April, 27, 2011 AT 11:25 PM

Hi saturntech9. I'll watch from the sidelines in case you need me.

saturntech9

April, 28, 2011 AT 12:03 AM

Thanks caradiodoc I call you for back up if I need it.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide