WHAT WILL CAUSE IT TO STALL AND NOT START BACK UP

• Joshuasharp27
  • 1998 DODGE INTREPID

Went to leave one moring and it started right up when to pull out and stalled I put it back in park and started it again but noticed the rpm gage wasnt work and it stalled again and now it wont start

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

• Caradiodoc

Have you checked for diagnostic fault codes? Have you checked for spark and fuel pressure?

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 11:41 PM
  • Joshuasharp27

It wont even crank over like the starter not engaging

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 11:46 PM
  • Caradiodoc

Do you have a voltmeter or test light? We can do all the testing by breaking the system down into four parts, each with a test point in the starter relay socket under the hood.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • Joshuasharp27

No sir I have not done that yet so I should pull the fuse under the hood and check its base with a test light and say that is it how would I and how much would it coast to get fix and one other thing is the 3.2 liter a good motor

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 12:42 AM
  • Caradiodoc

The 3.2 is a fine engine.

From your descriptions, you have two different problems that are likely related. The place to start is by measuring the battery voltage with the engine off and with it running, if possible. You could have a charging system problem, and bad connection, or something as simple as a bad battery.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
  • Joshuasharp27

Ok maybe this will help I put on a snap on jumper box and tired jumping it and the result was nothing it dont even make a click noise when turning the key on

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:32 AM
  • Caradiodoc

Most likely a bad connection. One common place is where the smaller positive battery cable bolts to the under-hood fuse box.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 2:03 AM
  • Joshuasharp27

Ok I will check and the other place will be where sir and is that the only way to take the battery out is from the passanger side under the finder.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 2:08 AM
  • Caradiodoc

You can measure the battery voltage at the test points on the driver's side under the hood without removing the battery. For those with the battery under the fender, turn the tires to the right to provide room to access the plastic shield and remove it.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 2:24 AM
  • Joshuasharp27

Yeah mine is under the fender now do those motors jump time easy or no because all my lights and radieo work but my rpm gage doesnt work and it just wont start so I guess hopeful its the battery

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 2:33 AM