STRUTS FOR 98

1998 Dodge Intrepid

t3protac

April, 11, 2011 AT 5:47 PM

I am going to put new quick struts on the front of my 1998 dodge intrepid 2.7 and I don't have a large enough socket to remove the Strut To Steering Knuckle Attaching Bolts and was wondering what size socket to buy? I know that I need to turn the nuts off the bolts so I dont damage the knuckle so are the nuts and bolts the same size or will I need a different socket/wrench for each? Is it safe to use in impact gun to remove the nuts or should I use hand tools to ensure the bolts dont turn?

Replacing Rear Struts

Rear Strut

caradiodoc

April, 11, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

Sorry I can't remember exactly but I think you'll need a 21mm or 24mm socket. You can use an impact on them. Be sure to support the car with jack stands under the frame or cross member, not under the lower control arms. You have to be able to pry the control arms down. Be aware that "camber", a very important alignment angle, was not adjustable with your old struts unless the lower mounting hole was ground oval-shaped. The lower hole in your new strut will likely already have an oval-shaped hole. It will be absolutely, positively impossible to set them in the correct position without an alignment. Changing camber will also cause a big change in "toe" on each wheel. That is the direction each wheel is steering. When that changes you will notice your steering wheel is no longer centered. The alignment will take care of that.

Don't use any type of anti-seize compound on the lower bolts or strut-to-knuckle contact points. That will prevent the bolts from holding the strut in proper position because it will defeat the friction from the clamping action.

Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda