REAR STRUT

1998 Dodge Intrepid

mmcmahon32

May, 6, 2011 AT 9:59 PM

I need to replace the struts on my 1998 Intrepid ES. How do I get at the top mounting bolts for the rear struts?

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:11 PM

From the inside of the car-

mmcmahon32

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:16 PM

Uh, . Yeah, I knew that part. Was hoping for a little more detail. Like how to get the interior panels off.

Wrenchtech

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:21 PM

It's accessed through the back seat. You have to remove the seat cushion first and then the seat back.

mmcmahon32

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:26 PM

My seats fold down. It looks like I have to remove several pieces. Was wondering which ones and how they come off. There is a frame that the folding seats lock against, the rear window deck lid and the side panels on the pillars.

Wrenchtech

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:28 PM

Remove the lower cushion and the rear seat bolts will be exposed.

mmcmahon32

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

Ok. After I remove the seat cushion, I assume then that the rear seat bolts gets me the rear seat frame all the way off. Is that all I need to get at the top strut bolts or do I have to take off more trim panels?

Wrenchtech

May, 6, 2011 AT 10:56 PM

Just the seats should do it. It will be obvious if something is in the way when you get the seat out of the way.

mmcmahon32

May, 7, 2011 AT 1:09 AM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you remove the bottom seat cushion? I haven't done that before. I looked and couldn't find any obvious latches or screws. Do you just use brute force?

Wrenchtech

May, 7, 2011 AT 1:12 AM

I have no info on that one. Some of them pull straight up, some have to be pushed rearward and then lifted up and some have a release right at the front edge.

mmcmahon32

May, 7, 2011 AT 1:19 AM

Ok. Thanks. I just ordered a Haynes manual. Maybe that will explain it - I hope.

Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy