EGR issue

RATIZZLE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I had the fuel pump replaced. On the way home it felt as if the fuel was not being regulated and the throttle was surging. The service light came on and it came up with an EGR code. I tried cleaning the existing EGR valve and put it back on. I got the code to go away and the surges seemed to stop for the most part. However, now it has hesitation on take offs. I bought a new EGR valve, replaced it and the whole truck starting idling horribly and would almost die when gas was applied. I put the old EGR valve back on and drove it a few miles and got a service light.

Had it checked at Autozone and it said EGR Closed. I took the EGR valve I had bought back and got a new EGR valve and put that one on. Did the same thing while idling. I noticed the gasket was a little bigger around the bolt holes, so I used the old gasket with the new EGR valve, and the idle is now fixed, however I still have the hesitation on take offs. Is it possible the gasket is still not 100% tight? Is it due to the fuel pump? I never had any issues until the fuel pump was put on. Im really frustrated with this. After putting on the EGR valve with the old gasket, the light had come on, but then went off. Hope you can help me.

Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 AT 10:21 PM

BGIL6773

I have a 98 Silverado 4x4 with the exact same everything! New fuel pump and filter, EGR codes and rough idle when cold. Replaced EGR and no fix. Same problems. Have you fixed the problem? I am baffled and dont have a tech2---No EGR vacuum lines. All electronic. Only hesitates when cold. Hit the gas when cold. Stumbles and almost dies. Once going runs well. Horrible fuel mileage now too. Fuel pressure is perfect and within specs.

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 AT 2:06 AM
2CARPROS KEN

These valves are electronic and temperamental so you must use a AC Delco replacement valve are you will have an internal valve leak. Here is a diagram (BELOW) that will help you get the job done.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Monday, May 29th, 2017 AT 10:05 PM
CRTGT75
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 2,262,376 MILES

Hi my Name is Ross Anthony. Can you please. Tell me how to change An EGR valve. Thank you So much For your time. Mr Anthony. Have a great. Day.

Monday, May 29th, 2017 AT 10:06 PM (Merged)

We have no pics of this, but unplug electric and or vacuum line, unbolt clean gasket off and reverse for install.

AWAYHOD
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Computer problem
2007 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 3900 miles

engine light came on - had it checked and was told it was egr code. Owners manual says to check fuel cap for closure and possibly fuel. Had recently filled up, so have not been able to try another fuel yet. Fuel filter has 80% life as per computer reading. What do I need to do to address this code warning?

MERLIN2021

Can you post the actual code? The egr has several codes associated with it, and then you describe an evap leak?

AWAYHOD

I do not have the code. I can check it again this eveing and post later tonight. Is it safe to continue to drive with light on? I have not noted any changes in gauges reading or performance. Light came on yesterday evening and again this morning. Have driven only about 15 miles since light statred, and have 12 mile trip back home today.

MERLIN2021

If it's an EVAP code, it could be as simple as a loose gas cap, if it's and EGR code, which I doubt on an 07' it could run rough, or pollute more than usual, the time for real concern is if the light starts flashing while driving. This is a misfire condition, and can damage the catalytic converter, or the engine.

AWAYHOD

The code was P0403. It list 5 possible prolems - a short, silinoid failure (sp), loose hoses, etc. Not sure where to start with this, but the whole egr list for $430.00 and that seems very steep to replace. Thanks for the help.

MERLIN2021

Is 3900 the right mileage? EGR is an emission part, and as such could be a warranty part under Federal emissions standards. I think some are as high as 8 years, or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, this part also has a technical service bulletin on it for this problem and is under the Fed 8 80 warranty, here's the bulletin #:
WARRANTY INFORMATION For vehicles repaired under the 8 year/80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use:
IMPORTANT: For additional information on warranty coverage for emission related reprogramming for Medium Duty trucks, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-036E.
The part is removed, cleaned and put back in, and the computer(PCM) is reprogrammed. FREE.