Car makes a "chug chug" noise

RAZZMATAZZ143
  • 1998 CHEVROLET PRIZM

I was driving to class last night and was stopped at a stop light. When I pressed the gas to go, my car started making this "chug chug chug" noise and shaking. It felt like I had a flat tire. I pulled over and checked, and there was no flat. When I turned my car back on to continue, my check engine light started flashing like crazy and the car was still doing the "chug" thing and shaking. I made it to class (I was right down the street) and called AAA and got towed home. I have no idea what it could be. For background, the car burns oil real bad but I just put oil in it that morning, I had just gotten gas that morning, and the hot/cold gauge didn't move the whole time this was happening.

Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 3:55 PM

If the check engine light is on, the computer needs scanned. Most parts stores will do it for free; however, it doesn't sound driveable. You have two choices. You can have it towed to a place that can run the scan, or you can see if a parts store will lend you a scanner to check it. If the light is on, there is a code stored in the computer that will identify where the problem is coming from.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 4:26 PM