98 CHEVY 2.2L SERPENTINE BELT REMOVAL

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Sylis

February, 16, 2011 AT 10:23 PM

I'm looking to replace the Serpentine Belt because it is in bad condition, the problem is I can't seem to find the tensioner or where to lock on to it in order to relieve the tension off the belt. The diagram is no longer under the hood, and I've seen at least 20 different images online which are either completely wrong, or do not label the parts.

The car as AC, and I believe the tensioner is below the power steering pump, but I am unsure of where the bolt is that I would hook my socket and bar onto. If someone either had a diagram or if I am looking at the right part, how I relieve the tensioner.

Changing Drivebelt

Need Infomation. .

1 ANSWER

Sylis

February, 19, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

Well, I found out myself. On my Cavalier, the tensioner is in fact below the power steering pump. An easy way of relieving the tension is to push down on the arm with the pulley gently, then slip the belt off. Be careful when doing so, if you put too much pressure on the arm you could damage your belt tensioner.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour