ON OUR 1998 CHEVY CAMARO I GOT A P0442 ERROR ...

1998 Chevrolet Camaro

sean03

October, 30, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

Hi on our 1998 chevy camaro I got a p0442 error code. The check engine light was on. What does this code mean. Thanks. I also erased the code and the check engine light went out. It is still staying off. Thanks.

October, 30, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

It will come back on. When it does, do not clear it as the tech looking at it can see the freeze frame data to see what conditions set the code.

It is an evap code

sean03

October, 30, 2012 AT 5:45 PM

No I am going to buy a meter off ebay that captures the live data. I will not erase it again. I know it will come back to. Will this scanner work. I want to buy it.

saturntech9

October, 30, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

The P0442 means theres a small evap leak detected in the evap system the first thing I would check is the gas cap. Some of the locking gas caps will set those codes also inspect the seal on the gas cap is it spliting or cracking?If so replace the cap heres is the scan tool I would recomend it reads some live engine data will show you freeze frame data etc.

sean03

October, 30, 2012 AT 6:49 PM

Which scan tool is better. Yours or the one I posted. Because it will be a tool I will use a lot.