WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED THE STARTER ...

1998 Buick Regal

geraldhedlin

February, 17, 2013 AT 6:31 PM

When the ignition switch is turned the starter clicks and will not start. I removed the starter and it was tested as good. After reinstalling the starter I was still getting a click. I tried jumping the car from another car and still got a click. I checked all the fuses and relays. What could be the problem?

February, 17, 2013 AT 6:32 PM

Does the motor turn?

What issue did you have prior to this failure?

geraldhedlin

February, 17, 2013 AT 7:11 PM

No, just get the clicking noise from the each time the ignition switch is turned.

Nothing wrong until this problem started.

February, 17, 2013 AT 7:19 PM

Ok, does the motor turn?

geraldhedlin

February, 17, 2013 AT 7:31 PM

No.

February, 17, 2013 AT 8:01 PM

Ok, I bet this is a 3.8 with a plastic upper intake. Common for internal leak resulting in water in the cylinders and lock up of motor.

Remove the spark plugs and hand turn to motor to see if coolant sparays out. If it does, the upper intake has to be replaced, the plugs need to be replaced, the cylinders blown out and a smal amount of oil added to get compression back, change the oil/filter, coolant and thermostat before trying to start

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test