ELECTRIC PROBLEM

1998 BMW 740

franxua1

August, 18, 2012 AT 4:45 AM

I have a 98 BMW 740i, Recently my wife left her lights on and her card Died, I jump started her car using my BMW I hooked both batteries with my car running and told her to start her car, he car started but then mine started to smell like burnt cable, and after a few seconds I saw smoke coming from the engine I checked and I saw that the thermostat sensor had melted, after that the car stopped working and would start but die right away, I changed the thermostat, and the car started, so I thought the problem was solved, but after turning it off and trying to start it again, the car its still dying right after it starts, I don't know what it could be, any suggestions?

August, 18, 2012 AT 6:44 AM

Check for blown fuses. Have the alternator and charging tested.

franxua1

August, 18, 2012 AT 10:34 PM

Ok I will try this tomorrow and I'll let you know thanks.

August, 21, 2012 AT 11:19 AM

Any update on this?

franxua1

August, 21, 2012 AT 6:29 PM

Not yet, I have been really busy at work seems like I'll be off on Friday that's when I'll check the car and let you know. Thanks.

franxua1

August, 24, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

So I checked the car and the fuses are all ok. Also the alternator it's fine. Any other suggestions on what it could be one thing I noticed its that once the car starts if I step on the gas it will die instantly.(Once I start it it will stay running for a couple of seconds)

August, 24, 2012 AT 8:55 PM

Get a scan to check for trouble codes.

Yu mentioned the thermostat sensor melting and that can mean a poor ground circuit between engine and body.

franxua1

August, 24, 2012 AT 9:41 PM

I did, before changing the thermostat there was like 7 different codes, but after changing it, all codes went away.

August, 24, 2012 AT 9:53 PM

You should have a look at the engine computer. The smoking when jump starting might have caused damage to it.

franxua1

August, 24, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

Ok so I unplugged the sensor cable from the thermostat and started the car and it started and was actually running nicely, but after I plugged back the car shut off again, what could that mean!

August, 25, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

You could have replaced the component with a faulty one or of the wrong specifications.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test