MY CAR WANTS TO DIE IN DRIVE THROUGHS IT COMES ...

• Anonymous
  • 1997 Volkswagen Jetta

My car wants to die in drive throughs It comes up on the computer as the cam postering senser yet we put a brand new one in n the computer still says it what else could it b to b making the computer think its still that

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 7:42 AM

• mhpautos

May be a fault in the wiring from the sensor back to the ECU, check the pins on the CPS and the loom and do a continuity test from the CPS back to the ECU, start here.

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 8:02 AM
  • exovcds

2.0L or VR6?

The cam sensor on the 2.0L is inside the distributor. If you replaced that, then the timing is set incorrectly.

If you replaced it on a VR6, maybe your chain has too much slack and that is why the cam timing is wrong.

Thomas

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 2:16 PM
  • exovcds

A slight edit to my first reply... can you explain what you meant by:

"My car wants to die in drive throughs"

If your engine is an ABA or AAA engine, the engine will start & run fine with the camshaft position sensor disconnected... as
this video shows, the ABA engine is running while I disconnect the Hall Sensor Plug on the side of the distributor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uxkgveK7M&feature=plcp

Explain further for better assistance.

Thomas

Sunday, October 28th, 2012 AT 5:42 AM