97 VR6 STARTS HARD SOMETIMES/SPORADIC IDLE

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

brett69

April, 3, 2012 AT 5:28 AM

I have 97 Jetta vr6 that has me stumped. Sometimes starts hard and idles up and down as if I'm bumping the throttle but smooths out after a few seconds. Drives down the road really well but when you pull up to a stop light/sign it idles way down and dies sometimes and other times it does its goofy idling up and down thing. If it stays running it smooths out again after a few seconds. Has been getting worse lately. Dies almost every time you stop. I've heard change the coil. Change the mass air sensor. Change the throttle position sensor.I can't afford to just start changing things until it clears up. Also the speedometer and tachometer don't work, but the other gauges do. Sometimes all gauges don't work. Give it a good smack on the dash and u can usually get the temperature gauge and fuel gauge to come back on and the speedometer needle just barely twitches. I love the car and would like to get it straightened out ASAP. Any help or guidance to fix these problems would b greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

April, 3, 2012 AT 10:47 AM

Do you have a check engine light and when was last tune-up

Check and test the idle air controller and the throttle position sensor-

VR6 driver

August, 21, 2012 AT 10:08 PM

Thanks brett69 and rasmataz. I have a 95 GTI VR6 with Exactly same issue! Frustrating. No check engine lights on, and engine was just fitted with new plugs, wires, and air flow sensor (previous owner). Can you tell me a little bit more about finding and testing the Idle Air controller and throttle pos. Sensor? Thanks, New to forum and getting a lot of info. All the experts on here seem great.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang