97

1997 Pontiac Transport

mel_y

June, 28, 2011 AT 8:45 PM

I have a 97 pontiac transport and sometimes it wont start up the alternator is good just replaced the battery when u put the key in the lights come on but it wont crank over but if you jump it off it starts right up

Docfixit

June, 28, 2011 AT 8:48 PM

Has battery been tested?

mel_y

June, 28, 2011 AT 8:51 PM

Yea the battery was perfect and I had the alternator tested also it was good to. This is the second battery I have replaced

Docfixit

June, 28, 2011 AT 8:55 PM

When you state "does not crank over" does starter operate but engine won't fire and run? Or does starter operate slower than normal like draging?

mel_y

June, 28, 2011 AT 9:37 PM

When I put the key in and turn it over it clicks thats all but all the lights are on and sometimes when it does start up it tries to die.

June, 28, 2011 AT 9:59 PM

Double check the battery condition and connections. Get a helper to hold key at cranking position while you tap on the starter motor-did it engage the engine-if not jump the starter motor solenoid with a screwdriver see if it kicks over-Let us know

mel_y

June, 28, 2011 AT 10:05 PM

The battery is completely dead, the starter is cranking over like it wants to start, and I did the motor solenoid and it works perfect if the battery isn't dead but the battery has to be jumped off the battery also has developed a big bulge on the side of it. I believe its either the connection to the started that could be corroded or its something running the battery dead but I have no idea what it could be all the lights and everything stay off. Something is running the battery dead every time it sits for more than 15 mins.

June, 29, 2011 AT 4:24 AM

Big bulge on the battery means the battery is defective, Get a new one and try it again.

mel_y

June, 29, 2011 AT 7:47 PM

Tried it again battery is still doing the same thing it keeps dying something is causing the battery to run dead and when I keep jumping it off thats what the bulge is from, having to start the battery up every time I get in it to start it up. I dont know going to try replacing the starter if thats not it, I am assuming its electrical some where

June, 29, 2011 AT 7:56 PM

Do a battery drainage test before you replace the starter motor

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement