Anti theft system

JOHNCOLEBAU
  • 1997 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Can I by-pass the anti theft on my car?

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 AT 12:43 AM

WRENCHTECH

No, it uses a pass-lock sensor built right into the ignition key and tumbler.

The most common failure is the pass-lock sensor itself and I can give you a way to bypass that but the rest of the system must remain operational.

Here is how you can bypass the sensor:

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire or on some vehicles, it is the yellow and black wires. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this does not work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.
Thirty Minute Re-Learn Procedure
1. Turn on the ignition, with the engine off.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to on (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the security telltale, after approximately ten minutes the telltale will turn off.
4. Turn off the ignition, and wait five seconds.
5. Repeat steps one through four two more times for a total of three cycles/thirty minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the pass-lock sensor data code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from off to crank).
Important:
The vehicle learns the pass-lock sensor data code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from off to crank. You must turn the ignition off before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the pass-lock sensor data code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after one hundred ignition cycles).

+14
Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 AT 2:42 AM
PAMKOJETIN
  • 1996 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic? Miles

We have a sunfire that the anti theft system keeps locking up and leaves me stranded. Is there a way to by-pass the system. This is our only vehicle and due to the fact that I am battling breast cancer and my hubby just had major back surgery we cant afford to put it into the shop. Please help with an answer. I do have some one who can work on the car but he doesnt have the knowledge for this problem.

-1
Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 2:14 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

I would just reset the system. Remove the negative battery for 30 minutes. Then hook it back up again. Unlock the drivers door using the key and the system will be reset.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

PAMKOJETIN

That worked perfect thanks for the tip, I love this site.

2CARPROS KEN

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Tell a friend please.

Cheers, Ken

+1
BASSPLAYER10033
  • 1996 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

How do I bypass a factory theft system in my car? It won't start.

+1

We don't give out that type of information-best bet is just have the antitheft system checked and tested-

WRENCHTECH

The entire system cannot be bypassed anyway. The key sensor can be bypassed but unless that is where the problem was. It won't help. The rest of the system has to be operational.

STADLEY
  • 1996 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

How do I bypass the anti theft switch? Car starts but runs only for 15 30 seconds and anti theft lite comes on and shuts car off. Very frustrating

-1
WRENCHTECH

You cannot bypass the system. It needs to be operational and you need a Tech2 scan tool to be able to diagnose the problem.

KIMCCLEN

Mines needed the passlock sensor, which was failling. Its in the ignition switch. With the resistor is built in. The sensor wasnt communicating with the resistor hendering the info to the module, shutting down the car. The part is 75 at partsgeek. Com. Or the resistor could be failing. Your key probably wouldnt have a chip. BUT if it does, look at youtube video nerdboytv and go from there.

WRENCHTECH

Please don't confuse the poster. This car has a Passlock system that doesn't use a resister or a key chip.

KIMCCLEN

Ok, if it has the passlock system, then a passlock sensor COULD BE replaced then. Bypass passlock sensor @ autozone, oreilly, partsgeek. I said probably wouldnt have a chip also, read expert.

+1
WRENCHTECH

I'll tell you again. This system uses no chip, no resister, and I'll bet you have no idea how to bypass this sensor. This system isn't shutting down at initial start up as an improper Passlock code would do so it needs to be diagnosed as first posted and stop confusing the poster with misinformation.

+2
JEROME UPSHAW
  • 1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

I chipped out the ignition cylinder tried to start the car and it now it wont start. I am going to add a key style toggle switch will I need to bypass the anti theft system if so how?

WRENCHTECH

You cannot do that. The immobilizer is engineered right into the operating system and cannot be eliminated.
Replace the lock with its correct components.

BRANDY FULLER

I have a 1997 sunfire the starter wants to keep running after the car is started and when u unhook the battery to turn the car off it quits but with the key in the off position u can hook the battery back up and the starter will constantly turn trying to start the car. I tried to bypass all that and put a toggle just on the starter and it would start and work right for bout five secs then the theft system would come on snd shut the car off. Can u please tell me how to fix this I have already burnt up two starters trying to fix it.

WRENCHTECH

If you need help with something, please start a new question of your own. This one belongs to someone else.

TINOBLUE
  • 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Is there any way to bypass theft system

No, if the system is factory.