CAR BEEN SCANNED SEVERAL TIMES

• mjgraham1958
  • 1997 Plymouth Breeze

Car been scanned several times. No codes. It cuts out after driving a couple of miles and does not start untill a waiting period of at least 15min. Sometimes I can get it to start just long enough before the 15min to have it move a few feet before cutting out again. No overheating or any obviuos signs of a problem. Timing belt changed at 100K. Camshaft and crankshaft sensors been replaced recently as well as spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, ACD and fuel filter. (Fuel pressure has been checked). Only thing I can figure thats left is the PCM although it has been scanned itself and showed no "spikes" or problems. Good thing I work only 3 miles away as I can not trust it.

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 AT 2:38 PM

• KHLow2008

Since you were not able to restart, that is the time you need to be checking what is missing, fuel or ignition sparks.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

The above link explains what to look fo. By verifying what is missing, we can proceed with diagnostics on the system concerned. Let us know what you find.

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 AT 5:04 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Just to add, the harness for the cam and crank sensors are constant headaches. They fray and cause all kinds of issues like what you describe

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 AT 7:05 PM
  • mjgraham1958

Before I go further, I want to tell you I have had evrything checked. Scans, fuel pressure, replaced coil, played with every wire and hose. Nothing makes it cut out. Specificaly, It starts up fine cold, but if runs more than say 15min, it will sputter and cut out, no matter if driving at any speed or sitting at a light, when it decides to shut off it does. Will not start, (does turn over and sounds like it wants to start) but will not stay running for more than a couple of seconds before dying. Car will be able to start after sitting for about 15 min and be fine for another 15mins or so before it wants to shutdown again. Will check above link to see if I missed something later and get back to you unless you have something more to offer based on the more specifiuc info above.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 2:59 PM
  • KHLow2008

Since problem is temperature related, check the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. Monitor its working range.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 7:16 PM
  • brianposey

I just found my rough idle problem. It was the Evap system. Canister purge valve. It was sticking closed. When the car warmed up. The idle went rough. Only thing is it never shut off. Acted like it wanted to though.

I did have my ECT Sensor go bad a few weeks ago too. Easy to check with a volt meter on the 2.0 if you can get your leads to the prongs. I think with engine cold it should read about 7 ohms. Any less. Replace it. Mine read at 6.6 and it was causing running misfires and such. The ECT is a high priority sensor and controls things like timing, spark advance and a few other crucial things.

Sunday, December 16th, 2012 AT 11:11 PM
  • brianposey

Thinking about this a few minutes, the 15 minute sit then start, that sounds very much like the fuel pump going out. Personal experience with another car I had. The engine dies without any rhyme or reason. Sit a bit and crank it back up. I limped home with that car and stopped 5 different times just to make it.

Sunday, December 16th, 2012 AT 11:19 PM
  • mjgraham1958

Update on the above problem. ECT replaced along with the connector/wire as there was no insulation left. Problem fixed? NO. The whole temperature thing was the common constant so thought this may be it, but no. Still cuts out at about three miles or 10 minutes of driving. Will start after a "cool down" period of half hour. Hard to tell an actual temp but seems to be at regular running temp (between H and C on gauge) Tough to test when car dies as it is usually in traffic somewhere and have not been able to duplicate it at my house. So. Ignition coil, spark plugs, ECT sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor all replaced. All wires played with and checked. Scanned with OBD and Ignition method, no results. Book says no restart on hot engine could be MAP/Intake air sensor but would that make it die at a certain time or temoerature? Last thing to replace would be the PCM but mechanic says it was checked and had no "spikes" but did not rule it out. Car has had several front end and rear in collisions. Could this have compromised the pcm or something else?

Sunday, December 30th, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
  • KHLow2008

When engine stalled, did the dash indicator lights come on immediately?
Were you able to restart at anytime aftr this?
This seems to be an electrical control fault rather than anything else.

Sunday, December 30th, 2012 AT 10:31 PM
  • mjgraham1958

Lights come on after about 2 or 3 seconds after feeling it gp out. Can attempt to start, will crank over and either nothing or will start then die 5 seconds later. Again it will start and run fine for another 3.5 miles after sitting 30 minuts or so then do it again.

Tuesday, January 1st, 2013 AT 6:42 PM
  • KHLow2008

Have th ignition switch checked. Seems it is failing intermittently as indicated by the delay in dash indicator showing when engine stalled.

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013 AT 12:55 PM