CAR WONT START

• urpurplebutterfly
  • 1997 Kia Sephia
  • automatic

I have a 97 Kia Sephia and it cranks but wont start.I have checked spark fuel and compression I also replaced the fuel filter and both O2 sensors and still wont start. What could be the problem?

Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 11:39 PM

• rasmataz

Go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 11:55 PM
  • obxautomedic

Ok, what color is the Spark/ It should be a Bright Bluish/White, If Orange spark is weak and vehicle won't start.

Also check the inside of the Distributor Cap Corrossion on the electrodes can reduce the spark going to the plugs.

.

Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 11:58 PM
  • urpurplebutterfly

If it is weak do I replace the spark plugs?

+1
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:04 AM
  • obxautomedic

No, if spark is weak the possible causes are the Cap and Rotor($60 - $70), Ignition Control Module($150 - $200) or the Coil(The coil is integrated in the Distributor and you would have to replace the distributor at a cost of $500 - $800. So I would suggest taking a good look at the cap and rotor If has corrossion on electrodes you can try cleaning them off good, also clean off the tip of the rotor, put it back together and see if it starts. If it does replace the cap and rotor.

NOTE : BEFORE REMOVING WIRES FROM CAP HAVE SOME TAPE AND A MARKER TO MARK THE WIRES AS TO WHICH TERMINALS THEY GO ON.

.

+1
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:48 AM