Change the automatic transmission fluid

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1997 ISUZU RODEO

3.2L V6 mileage: 50,000. I would like to change the automatic transmission fluid in my vehicle (I am familiar with the procedure on older vehicles) but on my Isuzu the transmission is a sealed unit. It has an overfill and drain plug. I drained approximately 3 quarts and filled it with about the same amount through the overfill hole so the best I was able to do was a partial change (total capacity = 9.1qts). I have searched everywhere for information on how to service this type of transmission (4L30-E) to no avail. Regardless of whether or not it is supposed to be serviced at 100,000+ miles I would rather change oil than change a transmission. How do you change the oil on this type of transmission? The service manual I have gives no specifics.

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 9:12 AM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES

First drop the pan and change the filter, then install a new pan gasket and refill the system. IF you want to flush the system undo one of the transmission lines and put them into a bucket, then start the engine and start pouring fluid into it, stop once the fluid is clean, here is a guide that will help you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Best, Ken

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 9:14 AM