STEAM, OVERHEATING, BOILING

1997 Honda Civic

Beckalou

June, 29, 2011 AT 2:14 AM

Okay I have a 1997 Honda civic ex it has 197000 miles. I keep it maintained. I've had it for a year and 3 months but since may it has been sitting in my driveway. Since I've had the car I've put new
1. Water pump
2. Timing belt
3. Thermastat
4. Distributor ( all of its components)
5. Radiator cap
6. 4 brand new tires
7. Spark plugs and wire on 1 of the things
8. Fuel filter

I think that's all. But my car overheats and then begins to smoke or steam I think steam from under the hood on the passengers side with this burning smell but not like fire smell. It overheats a lot when I'm stopped and then cools to normal temp when I start driving again but soon just stays overheating while stopped or going. And when I park and turn it off is when u hear the overfill tank boiling. I've watched it so I know that's where sound cones from. And there is now coolant all under my hood from it boiling out while I drive, please someone help me. And the radiator doesn't keep the coolant in it. I have to fill it like every other day. My fans work, there are no visible cracks in radiator, there isn't water in my oil so not a head gasket. HELP ME PLEASE!

June, 29, 2011 AT 4:53 AM

Get it chemically and pressure tested to find out more-

Beckalou

June, 29, 2011 AT 5:20 AM

What does chemically consist of?

Beckalou

June, 29, 2011 AT 5:20 AM

What does chemically consist of?

Beckalou

June, 29, 2011 AT 5:23 AM

Oh I forgot to say that it looses power. I will damn near have my pedal to the floor and it just does not even go. Or I will be driving on the freeway and it is just really slow. It happens more when it overheats but it has happened in the past shortly before it began this overheating bs.

Beckalou

June, 29, 2011 AT 5:23 AM

June, 29, 2011 AT 7:10 AM

Check with the major chain parts store-for the bloc chek-liquid in the bottle turns from blue to yellow when there's hydrocarbons in the coolant

Also check the exhaust for restriction to rule out the catalytic converter this could caused your overheating problem

jeofjingjeff

June, 29, 2011 AT 3:08 PM

This exactly happened to me also when I still had my Civic '94 last year. I had my radiator overhauled. I always kept my eyes on the temperature gauge, and once the car overheats again, I had to stop
the engine for it to cool down. In this case, you're better off taking your car to an automotive expert. We, as customers have peace of mind when taking our cars to well-established auto repair shop.

Since then, my Civic was working well. I just sold it last month. I decided to purchase a new one.

Beckalou

July, 1, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

You are lucky that you found a repair shop that did you right. My mind is not at all at ease when dealing with them. My last car I took to a shop paid 800 dollars it ran for one week and never started again. I donated it to Polly Klass Foundation in January. So idk about shops.

But I looked for that chemical that turns colors at two different spots. I bought this stuff for the cooling system that you use a uv light to see where it leaks. I'm knowing already that's not what you were talking about. I'm going to return it. As far ad my cat. The guy recomended this stuff I think called sea foam? He swears by it. He said it will clean out any gunk that's in my exhaust system. And by the way. What is a radiator overhaul?

Beckalou

July, 1, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

jeofjingjeff

July, 2, 2011 AT 3:35 AM

Oh, that's was too much of a hassle on your part. Paying $800 is not worth it at all. I even experienced my Civic '94 took two weeks before the engine started again. I had it repainted (at a shop which I would hardly recommend to anybody) before I sold it. Unfortunately some parts of the car were not properly returned, which affected the computer box. The engine wasn't working anymore. I was hopeless. I thought I'd end up with a junked car. Good thing, I had it fixed at a very affordable cost. By the way, my radiator was overhauled at only $50 and spent $160 for computer box labor. Well, I am in the Philippines (1USD= PhP43). We experienced the same car problem, same brand of car but the only difference is our country of origin.
My brand new car is still Honda. Afterall, Honda cars are known to be durable and of good quality. I forgot the brand of the coolant used for my previous Civic. I seldom used it. I just refilled it with distilled water. Just check your water reservoir. Make sure it has always water in it to prevent overheating. Some potential radiator problems may include a restricted or blocked grille that needs to be cleaned by overhauling the radiator. Enough work is done on the radiator unit to make it fully operational again. So you have a choice of either replacing your radiator or having it repaired. In my case, I chose to have it overhauled in one of the best shops here since they recommended it so I won't have to spend another bucks replacing it.

Before I sold my Civic since the radiator was last overhauled, I was using it for almost a year so I was confident it was in good condition. I also had the engine tuned up a couple of month before it was sold. Since then, my buyer gave me a positive feedback. I am happy now with my brand new Honda car.

Before you ask the shop to take on your car, be sure that the company offers a guarantee on the service that they give you. If it won't work for you, try calling Honda cars company whichever is closest to you. They know better what to do.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage