Can it be the alarm system or kill switch

ACOSTAAE
  • 1997 HONDA CIVIC

I have a 97 honda civic 5 speed won't crank lights turn on battery and starter is good alarm light on all the time

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 3:48 AM

ACOSTAAE

O yeah n it starts up good when u push jump Start it

-1
Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 3:50 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Start with a battery test first before going anywhere. It may a simple repair. Basics first.

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 10:08 AM
KHLOW2008

If you do not have even a slight click while turning the key, it most probably is not the starter or battery. The immobilizer would be the cause.

Try using a remote wire to jump the starter solenoid with battery voltage to test if it cranks.

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 10:31 AM
ACOSTAAE

All I get is humming noise under the dash. Could it be the ignition switch

Saturday, August 18th, 2012 AT 1:30 PM
KHLOW2008

Guessing doen not work. You need to perform tests to find out. Get a testlight ready and have you done as advised?

Saturday, August 18th, 2012 AT 2:02 PM
ACOSTAAE

Saturday, August 18th, 2012 AT 4:04 PM
ACOSTAAE

K I replaced the starter bypassed it to make sure while key is front and on nuetural n starter just runs by it self. Could it be the flywheel. But it still don't crank. But starts when u push Start it.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 1:08 AM
ACOSTAAE

And battery is good.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
KHLOW2008

How did you bypass the starter?

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 6:34 AM
ACOSTAAE

Lol. K im sure a perfessional wouldn't recommend it 0:) but with a screw driver to both bolts. But only did it two times I didn't want to burn it out

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 7:21 AM
KHLOW2008

In one of my previous post I told you to use a remote wire to apply battery voltage to the starter solenoid. That is the proper way. Using a screwdiver and at the wrong terminals, that can mean disaster if anything goes wrong. Under such testing, the starter would run but it is not going to engage as the pinion gear is not being pushed out by the solenoid.

At starter disconnect ONLY the solenoid wire.
Get a piece of wire, add a fuse to it and attach one end to the starter solenoid terminal. Touch the other end to the battery positive terminal and see if it cranks. Remember to have the vehicle in NEUTRAL.

Just for confirmation in case the starter is good. We would be doing other testings from here so I need to be very sure I understand you correctly the present conditions and symptoms.

1. No clicking noise when ignition key is turned to crank engine. True/False.
2. Security light stays on during cranking.
3. Dash indicator lights stays on when turned to On or while cranking.
4. Clicking noise of relay underdash, during ignition on or while cranking?
5. Was anything done prior to this occurring?

We are working on whatever information you have provided and if you do not provide the correct information or do not perform work as we suggested, we would be wasting our time as the desired result is not achieved.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 7:36 AM
ACOSTAAE

1. Yes there is no clicking noise.
2. No security light stays on all the time with and without putting the key on. Stays completely on even when car is NOT being messed with.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 7:53 AM
KHLOW2008

We shall concentrate on the starting circuit for now. The starting system is rather simple and not many items to check. Get a DVOM and test light ready and go through the wiring schematics I have attached to understand the system first.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 8:06 AM
ACOSTAAE

The only problem I don't have a test light. Or dvom but I can see if I can buy one in the morning. It's 3 am n Perty tired :) thank u berry much Mr machanic I will let u know manyana thank u again :)

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 8:32 AM