1. Place shift control select lever in "OD" position. Hold shift lever against rear overdrive stop
with a constant force of about 3 lbs. (1.4 kg). Raise and support vehicle. Using a screwdriver,
pry shift cable from manual control lever on transmission range sensor.
2. To unlock adjuster body, release lock tab on top side of cable by pushing down on 2 tangs.
Move shift cable back and forth the full adjustment length a few times to remove any dirt.
Ensure adjuster body moves freely.
3. Position manual control lever in "OD" position. This is 3 detents from front-most position with
front position counting as one. Holding cable end, push cable rearward until end lines up with
ball stud. Connect cable to ball stud.
4. Push up on lock tab to lock adjustment sleeve in position. Ensure shift cable is clipped to floor
pan at White mark on cable and cable is routed into tunnel. Lower vehicle. Adjust shift
indicator cable while still in OVERDRIVE position. See SHIFT INDICATOR CABLE.
5. Remove pressure from shift control selector. Check PARK engagement. Start engine and
ensure transmission shifts through all gears. Verify vehicle only starts in "P" and "N" position
and backup lights work. If not, check transmission range sensor adjustment. See
TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR/SWITCH.
SHIFT INDICATOR CABLE
Aerostar & Ranger
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove steering column release lever (if equipped).
Remove lower steering column cover. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Depress ignition
lock cylinder retaining pin. Remove ignition lock cylinder.
2. Remove upper steering column cover. Move shift control selector until in lowest gear position.
Move shift control lever up 3 detent positions. Hold shift lever against rear of stop with a
constant force of about 3 lbs. (1.4 kg).
3. Center pointer in middle of "OD" position, by rotating thumbwheel located on right side of
steering column. Install upper steering column cover, ignition lock cylinder and lower steering
column cover. Install tilt wheel handle and shank (if equipped). Connect negative battery cable.
Explorer & Mountaineer
1. Remove upper and lower steering column covers. Place shift control selector in lowest gear.
Move shift control selector up to detents. Hold shift lever against rear of stop with a constant
force of about 3 lbs. (1.4 kg).
2. Rotate thumbwheel until pointer is centered in appropriate position. Cycle shift control selector
through all gears to ensure proper operation. Install upper and lower steering column covers.
Sunday, January 9th, 2011 AT 5:03 PM