A/C BLOWS HOT IN FRONT AND COLD IN BACK OF 5.4L

1997 Ford Expedition

roycar71

March, 31, 2012 AT 5:06 PM

Hello, I just recently change my thermostat because my truck heat was blowing warm. Now it blows hot. I have a dual air syetem. Now my A/C is blowing hot air in front on dash and cold/cool in back. A mechanic told me by blender actuator went bad and they wanted to charge me over $600 to replace. Can this be done by yourself? If so, can anybody lead me in right direction?

hmac300

March, 31, 2012 AT 5:31 PM

You'll need to replace item 8 in the pic, normallyyou have to pull the ip out to reach it but you might be able to see it if you pull a bunch of stuff from front of ip. Not a very easy job.

roycar71

March, 31, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

Thanks for reply, I look t diagram. Is there anything else I can work off on knowing that mechanically are still on novice/journeyman.

hmac300

March, 31, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

No there aren't very many good pics of this, this pic was taken from the ford site and was about the best one. The nmotor will be on the outside but like I said normally the ip has to come out, not a very easy job.

roycar71

March, 31, 2012 AT 10:46 PM

What is ip? Sorry for not catching on. Thus, I understand alot is required. I assume if I could change all spark plugs on this thing, This job shouldn't be that hard as tuneup. Thanks.

hmac300

March, 31, 2012 AT 10:48 PM

Instrument panel is the ip and it is harder than atuneup cause if you don't get everything connected on theip right things can be really screwed up.

roycar71

March, 31, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

Hmm, ok. I will look for some more info or video that I can find. Then make a determination if I will do it. Thanks.

hmac300

March, 31, 2012 AT 11:06 PM

Ok I went back to the ford site and you don't have to pull the ip BUT you do have to disconnect the AIR BAG module. If you don't do this correctly both of your AIR BAGS can explode and take out your windshield along with both air bags. Not cheap. I have the stuff saved with pics and will sen dto you if you are really intent on replacing the part. I would rather send it email than through here as I think with email the pics will get larger.

roycar71

April, 1, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

Please send here roycar71@bigfoot. Com. Disconnecting airbag module. Sound like another job in it self huh?

hmac300

April, 1, 2012 AT 1:33 PM

It will come from hmac3002@yahoo. No it's just an electrical connector but if you dont' do like it says then the bags COULD EXPLODE

roycar71

April, 1, 2012 AT 8:54 PM

Received pics thanks. Lastly is there I can get the referal sections to link to other instructions.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace