A/C blows hot in front and cold in back of 1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L

ROYCAR71
  • 1997 FORD EXPEDITION

I just recently changed my thermostat because my truck heat was blowing warm air. I have a dual air system. Now my A/C is blowing hot air in front on dash and cold/cool in back.

A mechanic told me by blend door actuator went bad and they wanted to charge me over $600 to replace.

Can this be done by myself? If so, can anybody send me in the right direction?

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 5:06 PM

You'll need to replace item 8 in the pic, normallyyou have to pull the ip out to reach it but you might be able to see it if you pull a bunch of stuff from front of ip. Not a very easy job.

-1
Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 5:31 PM
ROYCAR71

Thanks for reply, I look t diagram. Is there anything else I can work off on knowing that mechanically are still on novice/journeyman.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

No there aren't very many good pics of this, this pic was taken from the ford site and was about the best one. The nmotor will be on the outside but like I said normally the ip has to come out, not a very easy job.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 5:48 PM
ROYCAR71

What is ip? Sorry for not catching on. Thus, I understand alot is required. I assume if I could change all spark plugs on this thing, This job shouldn't be that hard as tuneup. Thanks.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 10:46 PM

Instrument panel is the ip and it is harder than a tune up cause if you don't get everything connected on their right things can be really screwed up.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 10:48 PM
ROYCAR71

Hmm, ok. I will look for some more info or video that I can find. Then make a determination if I will do it. Thanks.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

Ok I went back to the ford site and you don't have to pull the ip BUT you do have to disconnect the AIR BAG module. If you don't do this correctly both of your AIR BAGS can explode and take out your windshield along with both air bags. Not cheap. I have the stuff saved with pics and will sen dto you if you are really intent on replacing the part. I would rather send it email than through here as I think with email the pics will get larger.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 11:06 PM
ROYCAR71

Please send here roycar71@bigfoot. Com. Disconnecting airbag module. Sound like another job in it self huh?

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

It will come from hmac3002@yahoo. No it's just an electrical connector but if you dont' do like it says then the bags COULD EXPLODE

+1
Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 1:33 PM
ROYCAR71

Received pics thanks. Lastly is there I can get the referal sections to link to other instructions.

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 8:54 PM

No because that was taken out of the ford manual for your truck. There are torque specson the pieces that really need to be torqued to a certain spec. On the others just don't be like a gorilla when you torque them down. Most ip nuts/bolts are small and dont 'require alot of torque.

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 8:57 PM
ROYCAR71

Ok, thanks anyway. Aww it just says disconnect negative battery for atleast 1 min to discharge air bag. After that I should not have to worry bout it blowing up right?

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 10:28 PM

Wellyou shouldn't but make sure the cable won't contact the battery. Also if you have an auxillary battery disconnect that one as well. You will probably have to reset all your radios etc.

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 10:40 PM
ROYCAR71

Not familar with a auxillary battery. If I would have one where would I look? Lastly, after studing pics, this might be less than a 6 hour job compared to what I have heard from others. Huh?

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 2:42 AM

Don't count on the time lineip work can be a bitch to put it mildly. Auxillary battery would be under th hood normally but could be in back as well. There would be a positive cable leading to it from the main battery.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 2:10 PM
ROYCAR71

Ok thanks for info. I am supposed to be getting more info from "ALLDATA" and I will determine if I can do it.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 7:36 PM
ROYCAR71

Well, got the part out and brought a new part. It is funny how "Autozone" can mark up price $10 more than "Rockauto" for same part. If was patient I coulda saved. Anyway back to business at o hand. I was able take out part, but I noticed some debris that came out around turning part and wanted to know if I might have another issue?

Friday, April 6th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM

It might be where the part plugs inor a pieceon the part itself that broke. You'll find out when you get everything hooked back up and it still doesnt' work. Then teh dash will probably have to come out to fix the internal part that is broke. Just look carefully where your new part installs. Also concening rock auto, it's ok if you want to wait for a part to save soem money, but keep in mind that they use flat rates for shipping wher you migh tbe able to ship it for $5 they will charge you $20 so they make up on that. People always forget about shipping. Besides Autozone had the part and was readily available or with in a day. To give you an example im buying a part for my MG that weighs #3 at the most and it's costing me almost $30 to getit shipped here ground which normally would be less than $10.

Friday, April 6th, 2012 AT 2:34 PM
ROYCAR71

Well it turns out be Blend door and maybe not blend door actuator. Hmm, I thought they were both same. Sofar, I followed "Heatertreater" method of cutting in the "phenom" box and removing "blend door".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9OVh_019g&feature=player_embedded

When I got into part to install blend door. I did not realize that i have to buy his third party part in order to install blend door. I am waiting for part to be shipped. If i took the other method. Than yes, I now understand I would have to rip the whole dash out just to get to phenom box. Damn no wonder mechanics make so much.

Sunday, April 8th, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

Actually the mechanics don't make as much as you think they do. If they turn in $600 a week paycheck that would be aboutnormal If it's a dealer the dealer is paying them like $20 per hour flat rate and charging 100 or more. So what ever it takes book wise to replace thepart then that's what they are paid regardless if it takes them days to fix the vehicle. Hope yo get it fixed ok.

+1
Sunday, April 8th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM