MEMORY FUSE KEEPS BLOWING AS SOON AS CONTACT IS MADE.

1997 Dodge Caravan

Teslonelf

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:07 AM

I recently bought this van. Nothing worked while the car was off or in ACC position. When in the ON position most everything worked. I still did not have a radio though. I took it to the dealership to take care of a couple of things covered by recall, (whaddyaknow the horn, cruise control, and airbag worked again). Then I replaced the Body Control Module, and found that the Memory Fuse was bad and replaced it as well. When I connected the battery and turned the car to ACC, the radio worked, I had odometer readings, and it was working the way it was supposed to. I started driving down the road and then the radio went out. I pulled over and sure enough, the memory fuse was blown. I put in another (car was off, but the battery was connected) and it blew before I could get it fully seated. What could be causing the overload for the memory and how can I fix it? I would be fine with the ACC position not working, but I'd like to have my radio.

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:15 AM

Could be a bad radio? Or someone messed with wiring put back stock radio? Pull and check wires?

Teslonelf

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

No, the radio worked fine in my old car. And i've quadruple checked the wiring. My friend is a professional radio installer, and he said it was good too.

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:25 AM

Whats the fuse #?

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:26 AM

Have you tried disconnecting radio and see if it still blows?

Teslonelf

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:29 AM

I can't find a number for the fuse unless you mean the amp rating of 10A. Other than that I can olnly tell you what's on the fuse cover. It says 10 A MEMORY (IOD). And i'll try disconnecting the radio to see what happens.

Teslonelf

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:34 AM

Ok, I took out the radio and it's fine now. What would cause the radio to blow the fuse even when neither the van nor the radio is on?

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

Maybe chassis is shorting against a hot wire in the dash? Or mounting is torquing guts to make a internal short?

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

You got regular or premium sound system?

Teslonelf

February, 2, 2012 AT 3:15 AM

Regular. Just found the problem though. The grounding braid was dhorting against the reg ignition power about 6inches back behind the brackets.

fixitmr

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:58 PM

Your welcome.

Dynamat Door Installation