97 T&C P0700

AMTRACKER
  • 1997 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
  • 150 MILES
'97 T&C giving me a P0700 code. Reported loss of drive while driving. It came back after it sat. Any ideas, control moduale or something?
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:28 PM

That just means there is a diagnostic fault code in the Transmission Computer and the transmission is in "limp-in" mode where it stays in second gear so you can drive it slowly to a repair shop without needing a tow truck. Having the code(s) read by a mechanic with a scanner that can access the Transmission Computer is the place to start. The codes will point to the circuit or system with the problem, not necessarily a defective part.
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:32 PM
PROTECH1980
Most common problem associated with this code are either for a failing input or output speed sensors, You could ohm the sensors, A good sensor should measure less than 800 ohms.
+1
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:35 PM
PROTECH1980
Sorry caradiodoc, didnt see you posted
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:37 PM
AMTRACKER
Thanks guys. Is there a way for me to see codes on that system with my OBDII?
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:44 PM
Don't apologize PROTECH1980. Everyone is posting over everyone else since we lost the ability to delete our own replies. Two heads are always better than, ... Mine! Your code reader will only read codes from the Engine Computer. You need a professional scanner to read codes from the EATX. That's the Electronic Automatic Transmission Controller, a fancy name for the Transmission Computer. It told the Engine Computer to turn on the Check Engine light because that is required when the code is related to something that could cause an increase in tail pipe emissions.
+1
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 11:58 PM
AMTRACKER
Ok, so I replaced the input and output speed sensors. When I pulled one out.(Wait for it). There was a tree of metal fillings stuck to it! Think its terminal?(Sarcasm)
Saturday, March 26th, 2011 AT 12:47 AM
What happened when you cleaned him up? Some trucks have similar problems with the rear-wheel anti-lock speed sensors in the differential housing that also grow fuzz and stop developing signals. I'm bettin' yours will work after you clean it.
Saturday, March 26th, 2011 AT 12:57 AM
AMTRACKER
I didnt clean it up. I replaced it and cleared the code. Then test drove it and got the same reaction, limp-in mode and only 30 miles an hour
Saturday, March 26th, 2011 AT 1:39 PM
AMTRACKER
This wasnt fuzz. It was a TREE of large metal shavings. I am pretty convinced that it is dead in the water. I plan to rebuild and sell the tranny and engine to recoop my loses.
Saturday, March 26th, 2011 AT 1:43 PM